IoT Working Group

Threaded

Re: [iot-wg] [Peter Steinhaeuser] for co-chair (fwd) Michael Richardson: Re: [Peter Steinhaeuser] for co-chair

Michael Richardson

2022-05-14 20:34:23 CET

Peter Steinh=C3=A4user <ps _at_ embedd _dot_ com> wrote:
    > I put my hat (again) into the ring and ask you to support me as a
    > candiate for co-chairing this WG.

I am very supportive of Peter doing this!

    > I think that this WG is still trying to find it's place in the RIPE
    > community, the overall acitivity level has beend a bit low. Of course
    > the years of the pandemic and the lack of opportunities to meet in
    > person were not helpful. Nevertheless it seems that IoT is still
    > something that is often considered to live in the consumer space, and
    > also many carriers currently seem to have other priorities.

I thik that these are astute observations.
I really enjoyed the RIPE79 (Rotterdam) IoT hackathon.

I think that there are interesting operational things that RIPE IoT WG could
have deeper converations about.  There will be a grandchild-of-HOMENET effo=
rt
at the IETF that might get called SNAC.  It would be interesting to me to do
some kind of *interop* testing of IoT systems and ISP systems.

    > As a WG chair I would focus working on connecting the ongoing
    > activities to form technical standards and reference implementations
    > for easy adoption by the industry. I would also work on advocating
    > those to industry players (i.e. via Broadband Forum & prpl Foundation=
 &
    > Telcom Infrastructure Project - TIP) to get broader support for these
    > activities as well.
=20=20=20=20
    > In my role as project manager for prplOS in the
    > prpl Foundation I also propose technologies for adoption & funding by
    > the prpl Foundation and it's members, as well as in the TIP project
    > where we contribute technology and solutions to the Open Coverged
    > Wireless WG (and recently started working on IoT integration as well).

This kind of promotion of new open source systems and open-stand.org
(standards) is really important to me as well.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-