You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum > DNS Working Group > [dns-wg] SLD .gov.* within european countries
RIPE Forum v1.4

DNS Working Group

Threaded
Collapse

[dns-wg] SLD .gov.* within european countries

User Image

Antonio Prado

2018-06-10 11:39:33 CET

hi,

I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.

does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
central government bodies and not local government or other public
administrations as well?

thank you
--
antonio

User Image

Rob Evans

2018-06-10 11:46:47 CET

> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

Nope.  At least in the UK it has regional government.  E.g.:

	http://cumbria.gov.uk

I’m sure mileage varies.

Rob

Jim Reid

2018-06-10 12:40:58 CET


> On 10 Jun 2018, at 10:39, Antonio Prado via dns-wg <dns-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
> 
> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

No. Well, not under gov.uk. The domain has local authorities as well as central government. It also includes a few state-run institutions -- registrar of companies, national archives, vehicle/driver licensing, land registry, etc -- which technically are not part of government. Other parts of the UK government such as the NHS and police have their own SLDs.

User Image

Sander Steffann

2018-06-10 22:17:35 CET

Hi,

> I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.
> 
> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

gov.nl has no special meaning (.nl doesn't do official SLDs), but it does happen to forward to a government site.

Cheers,
Sander

User Image

Niall O'Reilly

2018-06-12 13:32:58 CET

On 10 Jun 2018, at 10:39, Antonio Prado via dns-wg wrote:

> hi,
>
> I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.
>
> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies

Not in the case of gov.ie.

> and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

See http://www.gov.ie/en/about-us --
"This website is a central portal for online government services, allowing citizens the ability to search and find all government services in a single, convenient manner."

There are links to central government departments, local authorities, statutory bodies,
state-supported services, and tourist attractions.

Some government departments use 3rd-level domains delegated from gov.ie, others use their own SLD.

Niall O'Reilly

Stephane Bortzmeyer

2018-06-12 13:43:55 CET

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:39:33AM +0200,
 Antonio Prado via dns-wg <dns-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote 
 a message of 42 lines which said:

> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)

For gouv.fr (gouv = gouvernement, which, in french, means only the
national one), it is only central bodies, "independant"
administrations like CNIL or ARCEP don't use it. Same thing for local
authorities .

For details (in french), see
,
section 2.5.




User Image

Antonio Prado

2018-06-12 16:45:48 CET

On 6/12/18 1:32 PM, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> There are links to central government departments, local authorities, statutory bodies,
> state-supported services, and tourist attractions.

I can't find any city as third level under .gov.ie.

www.gov.ie seems a directory of links.

so may I assume that just central government (and its departments of
course) uses third level domains under .gov.ie?

thank you
--
antonio

User Image

Antonio Prado

2018-06-12 16:51:27 CET

On 6/12/18 1:43 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)

ok, just to recap:

.gov.uk --> central and local
.gov.ie --> central
.gov.nl --> neither central nor local
.go(u)v.fr --> central
.gov.it --> central and local (to cancel local by the end of 2018)

any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?

thank you
--
antonio

Carsten Schiefner

2018-06-12 17:09:36 CET

Hi Antonio,

On 12.06.2018 16:51, Antonio Prado via dns-wg wrote:
> any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?

gov.de does not seem to be linked to any governmental activity whatsoever.

Rather, the website under http://www.gov.de/ appears to be a collection
of some advertorial links.

The main entry point for Germany's Federal Government is
http://www.bund.de/ , 'bund' in bund.de literally stands for 'federation'.

Please also note that most, highly likely even all of the 16 German
Federal States have their own official web presences under various
different domain names. Ditto for regions and cities.

AFAIK the State of Nordrhine-Westfalia even uses a non-.de domain name:
the entry point is https://www.land.nrw/ instead of something ending
with a .de.

HTH - best,

	-C.

User Image

Niall O'Reilly

2018-06-12 18:10:21 CET

On 12 Jun 2018, at 15:45, Antonio Prado wrote:

> so may I assume that just central government (and its departments of
> course) uses third level domains under .gov.ie?

I'm not in a position to confirm this.

As you probably know, the DNS is both technically and administratively
delegated.  You'll need to look to the delegatee for the confirmation
you seek.

This URL may be a place to start:
https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=gov

Best regards,
Niall O'Reilly
User Image

Michele Neylon

2018-06-12 18:25:53 CET

A lot of government departments in Ireland have their own domain name(s). Most are in .ie.

Semi-state bodies and embassies have a mixture of ccTLDs and gTLD registrations

Regards

Michele


--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting, Colocation & Domains
https://www.blacknight.com/
http://blacknight.blog/
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Personal blog: https://michele.blog/
Some thoughts: https://ceo.hosting/ 
-------------------------------
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd, Unit 12A,Barrowside Business Park,Sleaty
Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,R93 X265,Ireland  Company No.: 370845

On 12/06/2018, 17:10, "dns-wg on behalf of Niall O'Reilly" <dns-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net on behalf of niall.oreilly _at_ ucd _dot_ ie> wrote:

    On 12 Jun 2018, at 15:45, Antonio Prado wrote:
    
    > so may I assume that just central government (and its departments of
    > course) uses third level domains under .gov.ie?
    
    I'm not in a position to confirm this.
    
    As you probably know, the DNS is both technically and administratively
    delegated.  You'll need to look to the delegatee for the confirmation
    you seek.
    
    This URL may be a place to start:
    https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=gov
    
    Best regards,
    Niall O'Reilly
    

User Image

Yiorgos Adamopoulos

2018-06-12 20:51:33 CET

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 5:51 PM Antonio Prado via dns-wg <dns-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net>
wrote:

> On 6/12/18 1:43 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)
> any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?
>

Anything in .gov.gr is definitely central government related (Greece) but
it is not always the only stuff out there.
-- 
keep raising the bar
User Image

Hank Nussbacher

2018-06-13 06:32:26 CET

On 12/06/2018 17:51, Antonio Prado via dns-wg wrote:
> On 6/12/18 1:43 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)
> ok, just to recap:
>
> .gov.uk --> central and local
> .gov.ie --> central
> .gov.nl --> neither central nor local
> .go(u)v.fr --> central
> .gov.it --> central and local (to cancel local by the end of 2018)
>
> any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?
>
> thank you
> --
> antonio
>
.gov.il is central gov't which allows one to go to various gov't
ministries like Ministry of Tourism or Ministry of Health all of which
are located under www.gov.il,  But some gov't ministries have their own
website like Ministry of Finance - http://www.mof.gov.il/.  It is
basically a mix - all of which can be found here -
https://www.gov.il/en/departments

-Hank





Rafał Galiński

2018-06-13 09:27:45 CET

Hi guys,

The gov.pl domain is reserved for registration only for designated entities.
Subscribers of names in .gov.pl domain may be public authorities,
professional self-government bodies, etc ..
We support many labels, such as: sa.gov.pl - Courts of Appeal, um.gov.pl
- Municipal Offices, kmpsp.gov.pl - City Headquarters of the State Fire
Service etc...
full list of supported zones:  https://www.dns.pl/gov/rejestracja-domen.html
PL Registry provide administrative and technical support for these domains.

Best,
Rafal

On 13.06.2018 06:32, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On 12/06/2018 17:51, Antonio Prado via dns-wg wrote:
>> On 6/12/18 1:43 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>>> I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)
>> ok, just to recap:
>>
>> .gov.uk --> central and local
>> .gov.ie --> central
>> .gov.nl --> neither central nor local
>> .go(u)v.fr --> central
>> .gov.it --> central and local (to cancel local by the end of 2018)
>>
>> any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?
>>
>> thank you
>> --
>> antonio
>>
> .gov.il is central gov't which allows one to go to various gov't
> ministries like Ministry of Tourism or Ministry of Health all of which
> are located under www.gov.il,  But some gov't ministries have their own
> website like Ministry of Finance - http://www.mof.gov.il/.  It is
> basically a mix - all of which can be found here -
> https://www.gov.il/en/departments
> 
> -Hank
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

-- 
Niniejsza wiadomość jest własnością NASK i może zawierać informacje
stanowiące tajemnicę  przedsiębiorstwa, poufne  i/lub  prawnie
chronione.  Jeśli  nie  są  Państwo właściwym adresatem (lub otrzymali
Państwo wiadomość na skutek pomyłki), prosimy o  tym  fakcie
niezwłocznie poinformować nadawcę i usunąć otrzymaną wiadomość.
Każde  nieautoryzowane  kopiowanie,  ujawnianie  lub  rozpowszechnianie
załączonej informacji jest zabronione.
**
This e-mail is  property of NASK and may contain business secrets,
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient (or have received this e-mail  by  mistake)  please  notify
the  sender  immediately  and  destroy  this  e-mail.  Any unauthorized
 copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.

User Image

Antonio Prado

2018-06-13 09:35:07 CET

On 6/13/18 9:27 AM, Rafał Galiński wrote:
> The gov.pl domain is reserved for registration only for designated entities.
> Subscribers of names in .gov.pl domain may be public authorities,
> professional self-government bodies, etc ..

hi,

is it possible to sum that .gov.pl is not for central governments only,
but also local (ie municipalities)?

thank you
--
antonio

Rafał Galiński

2018-06-13 09:37:58 CET


On 13.06.2018 09:35, Antonio Prado wrote:
> On 6/13/18 9:27 AM, Rafał Galiński wrote:
>> The gov.pl domain is reserved for registration only for designated entities.
>> Subscribers of names in .gov.pl domain may be public authorities,
>> professional self-government bodies, etc ..
> 
> hi,
> 
> is it possible to sum that .gov.pl is not for central governments only,
> but also local (ie municipalities)?

Exactly.

best,
Rafal

> 
> thank you
> --
> antonio
> 

-- 
Niniejsza wiadomość jest własnością NASK i może zawierać informacje
stanowiące tajemnicę  przedsiębiorstwa, poufne  i/lub  prawnie
chronione.  Jeśli  nie  są  Państwo właściwym adresatem (lub otrzymali
Państwo wiadomość na skutek pomyłki), prosimy o  tym  fakcie
niezwłocznie poinformować nadawcę i usunąć otrzymaną wiadomość.
Każde  nieautoryzowane  kopiowanie,  ujawnianie  lub  rozpowszechnianie
załączonej informacji jest zabronione.
**
This e-mail is  property of NASK and may contain business secrets,
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient (or have received this e-mail  by  mistake)  please  notify
the  sender  immediately  and  destroy  this  e-mail.  Any unauthorized
 copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.

User Image

Janos Zsako

2018-06-13 10:09:09 CET

Dear Antonio,

> I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.
> 
> does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> central government bodies and not local government or other public
> administrations as well?

gov.hu is a protected name. The registry delegates it only to a
central government designated body.

What it is used for, is up to them. As far as I can tell, it is used
only by central government, but they could allow any other use too.

Local governments usually use the name of the city/village as it is
reserved for them.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Janos

> thank you
> --
> antonio
> 

User Image

Ulrich Wisser

2018-06-13 15:25:40 CET

Hi!

In the Swedish ccTLD .se we do not have any protected SLD (any longer). But
gov.se is registered by the central government, but seems currently unused.

/Ulrich


Janos Zsako <zsako _at_ iszt _dot_ hu> schrieb am Mi., 13. Juni 2018 um 10:09 Uhr:

> Dear Antonio,
>
> > I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.
> >
> > does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
> > central government bodies and not local government or other public
> > administrations as well?
>
> gov.hu is a protected name. The registry delegates it only to a
> central government designated body.
>
> What it is used for, is up to them. As far as I can tell, it is used
> only by central government, but they could allow any other use too.
>
> Local governments usually use the name of the city/village as it is
> reserved for them.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Best regards,
> Janos
>
> > thank you
> > --
> > antonio
> >
>
> --
Ulrich Wisser
ulrich _at_ wisser _dot_ se
User Image

Bengt Gördén

2018-06-13 17:21:05 CET

Den 2018-06-13 kl. 15:25, skrev Ulrich Wisser:
> Hi!
>
> In the Swedish ccTLD .se we do not have any protected SLD (any
> longer). But gov.se  is registered by the central
> government, but seems currently unused.

Almost true. Some are barred and one could argue that it's not protected
but the outcome is the same. You can't use them.

https://www.iis.se/statistics/barred_domains_list.txt


>
> /Ulrich
>
>
> Janos Zsako <zsako _at_ iszt _dot_ hu zsako _at_ iszt _dot_ hu>> schrieb am Mi., 13.
> Juni 2018 um 10:09 Uhr:
>
>     Dear Antonio,
>
>     > I hope you can help me on a not-so-related-to-DNS question.
>     >
>     > does the SLD .gov.* within european countries' ccTLDs identify only
>     > central government bodies and not local government or other public
>     > administrations as well?
>
>     gov.hu  is a protected name. The registry delegates
>     it only to a
>     central government designated body.
>
>     What it is used for, is up to them. As far as I can tell, it is used
>     only by central government, but they could allow any other use too.
>
>     Local governments usually use the name of the city/village as it is
>     reserved for them.
>
>     I hope this helps.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Janos
>
>     > thank you
>     > --
>     > antonio
>     >
>
> -- 
> Ulrich Wisser
> ulrich _at_ wisser _dot_ se ulrich _at_ wisser _dot_ se>


-- 

Bengt Gördén
Resilans AB

Florian Weimer

2018-06-13 22:59:08 CET

* Antonio Prado via dns-wg:

> On 6/12/18 1:43 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> I guess most answers will be "it depends" :-)
>
> ok, just to recap:
>
> .gov.uk --> central and local
> .gov.ie --> central
> .gov.nl --> neither central nor local
> .go(u)v.fr --> central
> .gov.it --> central and local (to cancel local by the end of 2018)
>
> any other colleague from other countries wants to contribute?

bund.de is used by the German federal government.  I'm not aware of
any non-federal users.

gov.tr is “for the use of the Turkish governmental organizations and
institutions“.  It is open to provincial/district governments as well.
If I recall correctly, in the past, there were some odd delegations
under it which were difficult to square with this policy.

User Image

Peter Koch

2018-06-14 07:09:12 CET

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:59:08PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> bund.de is used by the German federal government.  I'm not aware of
> any non-federal users.

this is true, but the name is in no way special. It is just a registration
like any other, DE does not have any 'structure' at the second level (and
essentially never had).
Also, not all government entities use domains under 'bund.de', which would be an
orthogonal policy perspective.
I'm really curious what this little survey is really up to.

-Peter

User Image

Antonio Prado

2018-06-14 16:03:23 CET

On 6/14/18 7:09 AM, Peter Koch wrote:
> I'm really curious what this little survey is really up to.

hi,

a 2009 law forced any italian public administration to acquire a domain
name under the SLD .gov.it.

instead, last february 2018 the italian digital agency (at the prime
minister's office) determined that the domain name SLD .gov.it was
dedicated to the exclusive use of the central government by premising that:

'the second level domain (SLD) ".gov", when used, identifies only the
administrations within the EU and the USA (as the first level) central
government, with the exception of the United Kingdom, and not without
distinction any central and local public administration including
educational institutions (for which the SLD ".edu" is used) as is the
case today in Italy.'

so now it happens that tens of thousands of institutions must abandon,
by 2018, the domain name * .gov.it with the imaginable amount of issues
that will last over time and with a series of unexpected costs.

I would just like to clarify whether it is true that among the EU
countries the SLD .gov.it is used EXCLUSIVELY for central government
departments.

at the moment it seems that:

.gov.ie --> central
.go(u)v.fr --> central
.gov.gr --> central
.gov.hu --> central

.gov.uk --> central and local
.gov.pl --> central and local
.gov.tr --> central and local
.gov.it --> central and local (to cancel local by the end of 2018)

.gov.nl --> neither central nor local
.gov.se --> neither central nor local
.gov.de --> neither central nor local


thank you
--
antonio