You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum > Database Working Group > [db-wg] No more personal objects in the RIPE Database?
RIPE Forum v1.4

Database Working Group

[db-wg] No more personal objects in the RIPE Database?

User Image

Hans Petter Holen

2019-02-22 15:40:04 CET

Following Denis’s presentation at the last database working group meeting
and Elvis’s messages to the RIPE NCC members list I think it is time to
have a new discussion on the need for personal objects in the RIPE Database.

https://ripe77.ripe.net/presentations/63-PERSONobjects.pdf
https://ripe77.ripe.net/archives/video/2298/
https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/members-discuss/2019-February/003295.html

This is not questioning previous legal assessments of GDPR compliance, but
taking a step back and looking at how would we do this if we were to design
the RIPE Database with today's privacy requirements in mind.

The ccTLD for .NO, Norid made an update to their service last year to
completely remove person objects from their database.
https://www.norid.no/uploads/2017/12/Datamodell-revidert-en-v2.pdf

In terms of the RIPE Database, that would mean that resources would refer
to organisational objects and roles, not to personal objects.

Perhaps Denis and/or Elvis would propose a policy change in this respect?

Hans Petter

Elvis Daniel Velea

2019-02-22 22:14:05 CET

Hey Hans,

thanks for following up on this.

Before we start working on this, is a policy proposal really needed? I'm
not sure which policy proposal should be updated.

I would be happy to make a policy proposal - I will need your help or
Marco's.

@Denis - do you want to co-author?

Elvis

On 2/22/19 06:40, Hans Petter Holen via db-wg wrote:

> Following Denis’s presentation at the last database working group
> meeting and Elvis’s messages to the RIPE NCC members list I think it
> is time to have a new discussion on the need for personal objects in
> the RIPE Database.
>
> https://ripe77.ripe.net/presentations/63-PERSONobjects.pdfhttps://ripe77.ripe.net/archives/video/2298/https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/members-discuss/2019-February/003295.html
>

> This is not questioning previous legal assessments of GDPR compliance,
> but taking a step back and looking at how would we do this if we were
> to design the RIPE Database with today's privacy requirements in mind.
>

> The ccTLD for .NO, Norid made an update to their service last year to
> completely remove person objects from their database.
> https://www.norid.no/uploads/2017/12/Datamodell-revidert-en-v2.pdf
>

> In terms of the RIPE Database, that would mean that resources would
> refer to organisational objects and roles, not to personal objects.
>

> Perhaps Denis and/or Elvis would propose a policy change in this respect?
>

> Hans Petter

Elvis Daniel Velea

2019-02-22 22:18:33 CET

I should always double check the text before sending.

this: "I'm not sure which policy proposal should be updated" should read
"I'm not sure which policy should be updated"

/elvis

On 2/22/19 13:14, Elvis Daniel Velea wrote:

> Hey Hans,
>
> thanks for following up on this.
>
> Before we start working on this, is a policy proposal really needed?
> I'm not sure which policy proposal should be updated.
>
> I would be happy to make a policy proposal - I will need your help or
> Marco's.
>
> @Denis - do you want to co-author?
>
> Elvis
>
> On 2/22/19 06:40, Hans Petter Holen via db-wg wrote:
>>
>> Following Denis’s presentation at the last database working group
>> meeting and Elvis’s messages to the RIPE NCC members list I think it
>> is time to have a new discussion on the need for personal objects in
>> the RIPE Database.
>>
>> https://ripe77.ripe.net/presentations/63-PERSONobjects.pdfhttps://ripe77.ripe.net/archives/video/2298/https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/members-discuss/2019-February/003295.html
>>

>> This is not questioning previous legal assessments of GDPR
>> compliance, but taking a step back and looking at how would we do
>> this if we were to design the RIPE Database with today's privacy
>> requirements in mind.
>>

>> The ccTLD for .NO, Norid made an update to their service last year to
>> completely remove person objects from their database.
>> https://www.norid.no/uploads/2017/12/Datamodell-revidert-en-v2.pdf
>>

>> In terms of the RIPE Database, that would mean that resources would
>> refer to organisational objects and roles, not to personal objects.
>>

>> Perhaps Denis and/or Elvis would propose a policy change in this respect?
>>

>> Hans Petter

ripedenis@yahoo.co.uk

2019-02-23 01:01:21 CET

 Hi Elvis
We don't need to 'update' any existing policy it could be a new policy concerning personal data in the RIPE Database. I've been thinking about this since the last meeting so yes I am fine working with you Elvis on a proposal.
cheersdenisco-chair DB-WG