Connect Working Group

[connect-wg] virtual session at RIPE 80

User Image

Florence Lavroff

2020-03-26 23:22:16 CET

Dear friends of the Connect-WG,

As you may all know by now, RIPE 80 will be a virtual meeting.

While we are still working out the logistics of it with our fellow RIPE
chairs,
we'd like to get your feedback on what topics you'd like to discuss under
what format and how long this virtual session should ideally take.

We consider maintaining our 1.5 hour slot for the moment, unless you
propose otherwise. We'd also like to suggest as a main topic for the
working group a discussion session around the impact of covid-19 on
traffic, including but not restricted to the role of IXPs during the crisis.

Feel free to let us know your thoughts,

Stay safe, healthy and wash your hands,

Best regards,

Florence, Remco and Will
Connect-WG co-chairs
--
Florence Lavroff / lavroff _at_ google _dot_ com  / +31 6 11 01 55 80
Infrastructure Acquisition and Interconnect / Google EMEA

Stavros Konstantaras

2020-03-27 10:01:25 CET

Hi Florence and Connect group,

> On 26 Mar 2020, at 23:22, Florence Lavroff via connect-wg <connect-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
> Dear friends of the Connect-WG,
>
> As you may all know by now, RIPE 80 will be a virtual meeting.
>
> While we are still working out the logistics of it with our fellow RIPE chairs,
> we'd like to get your feedback on what topics you'd like to discuss under what format and how long this virtual session should ideally take.
>
> We consider maintaining our 1.5 hour slot for the moment, unless you propose otherwise. We'd also like to suggest as a main topic for the working group a discussion session around the impact of covid-19 on traffic, including but not restricted to the role of IXPs during the crisis.

Nice idea and indeed a hot topic of our times. I believe many of us not only experienced new traffic peaks (that give nice topics for the marketing people to publish) but also had to face difficult challenges like:
 - emergency upgrades on the internal network
 - emergency customer upgrades (like up and running in 2-3 hours)
 - equipment under stress/overload
 - restricted access to datacenter

And I’m sure I forget some more, but I would be glad to hear more stories from the fellow IXP colleagues.

> Feel free to let us know your thoughts,
>
> Stay safe, healthy and wash your hands,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Florence, Remco and Will
> Connect-WG co-chairs
> --
> Florence Lavroff / lavroff _at_ google _dot_ com lavroff _at_ google _dot_ com>  / +31 6 11 01 55 80 <>
> Infrastructure Acquisition and Interconnect / Google EMEA

Stay safe and we see each other virtually on RIPE-80

Best regards,

Stavros Konstantaras | Sr. Network Engineer | AMS-IX
M +31 (0) 620 89 51 04 | T +31 20 305 8999
ams-ix.net

User Image

Filiz Yilmaz

2020-03-27 14:13:47 CET

Hi Florence,

Happy to hear about the plans of a session around the impact of covid-19 on traffic and interconnection in general.
I also think it will be helpful including all sorts of point of views and not restricted to the role of IXPs in such a session.

A general discussion and experiences shared by datacenters, ISPs, CDNs, IXPs will be most helpful imo, regarding the most pressing issues they faced and remedies they produced during the crises.

Kind regards
Filiz

> On 27 Mar 2020, at 01:22, Florence Lavroff via connect-wg <connect-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
> Dear friends of the Connect-WG,
>
> As you may all know by now, RIPE 80 will be a virtual meeting.
>
> While we are still working out the logistics of it with our fellow RIPE chairs,
> we'd like to get your feedback on what topics you'd like to discuss under what format and how long this virtual session should ideally take.
>
> We consider maintaining our 1.5 hour slot for the moment, unless you propose otherwise. We'd also like to suggest as a main topic for the working group a discussion session around the impact of covid-19 on traffic, including but not restricted to the role of IXPs during the crisis.
>
> Feel free to let us know your thoughts,
>
> Stay safe, healthy and wash your hands,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Florence, Remco and Will
> Connect-WG co-chairs
> --
> Florence Lavroff / lavroff _at_ google _dot_ com lavroff _at_ google _dot_ com>  / +31 6 11 01 55 80 <>
> Infrastructure Acquisition and Interconnect / Google EMEA

Michael Richardson

2020-03-27 20:18:11 CET

Stavros Konstantaras via connect-wg <connect-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
    >> We consider maintaining our 1.5 hour slot for the moment, unless you
    >> propose otherwise. We'd also like to suggest as a main topic for the
    >> working group a discussion session around the impact of covid-19 on
    >> traffic, including but not restricted to the role of IXPs during the
    >> crisis.

    > Nice idea and indeed a hot topic of our times. I believe many of us not
    > only experienced new traffic peaks (that give nice topics for the
    > marketing people to publish) but also had to face difficult challenges

let me add:
* Experiences and policies with publishing traffic statistics from IXPs.
  How, when, where to anonymize while still getting that marketing push.

* stories about using this opportunity to fix/deploy things.
  (as long as nobody is *at* the FOOBAR office to complain...)

    > like:
    > - emergency upgrades on the internal network
    > - emergency customer upgrades (like up and running in 2-3 hours)
    > - equipment under stress/overload
    > - restricted access to datacenter

    > And I’m sure I forget some more, but I would be glad to hear more
    > stories from the fellow IXP colleagues.

Perhaps someone has some security/useability presentation on ILO/iDrac/IPMI
experiences.
I have never gotten IPMI serial consoles to work reliably for instance.
(Or: maybe there are hundreds of such talks out there, but I don't know where to
find them)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-