You are here: Home > Manage IPs and ASNs > Resource Transfers and Mergers > IPv4 Transfers > Mergers and Acquisitions

Mergers and Acquisitions

IPv4 address space can be transferred due to a change in the company structure of a member, for example, in the case of a merger or acquisition. Both Allocated Provider Aggregatable (PA) space, and Provider Independent (PI) space can be transferred in this way.

Note: if there is a change in company structure but no address space is transferred, the RIPE NCC does not need to be informed.


Becoming a Member of the RIPE NCC

Any organisation that receives address space through a transfer needs to be a member of the RIPE NCC. In the case of a merger or acquisition, the receiving organisation can:

  • Apply to be a member prior to the transfer taking place (more information can be found here)
  • Assume the membership of the transferring organisation (if all of the member's Internet Number Resources are being transferred). The transferring organisation is then no longer considered a member


How to get Started With a Transfer due to a Merger or Acquisition

In the case of a merger or acquisition, either the receiving or transferring organisation can start the process by sending an email to ncc _at_ ripe _dot_ net. The email should include:

  • The resources being transferred
  • The company name and contact details of both parties
  • Recent company registration papers for both parties
  • A description of the reason for transfer (if due to a change in company structure, a description of this change is required)


    Updating the Company Name

    If a member has changed their legal name, this will need to be updated prior to the RIPE NCC processing any transfers. To update the company name in our records, the member can send an email to ncc _at_ ripe _dot_ net and include:

    • The new company registration papers
    • The official legal documents supporting this change


    Further Detail on Transfers

    For further detail refer to the RIPE Document "Transfer of Internet Number Resource Records and Change of a Member's Official Legal Name".