Transfer FAQs

Show or Hide answer Do I need to be a member of the RIPE NCC to receive an IPv4 transfer?

It depends on what kind of address space is being transferred.

The receiving organisation will need to be a member in the case of:

  • A transfer of allocated Provider Aggregatable (PA) space from another LIR
  • A transfer of PA space through a merger or acquisition (though the receiving party may become a member as the transfer is processed)

The receiving organisation will not need to be a member in the case of:

  • A transfer of Provider Independent (PI) space from another resource holder
  • A merger or acquisition where the organisation receiving PI space has a sponsoring LIR
Show or Hide answer Can I transfer IPv4 space in/out of the RIPE NCC service region?

No. Inter-RIR transfers are not allowed under current RIPE policies.

The proposed "Policy for Inter-RIR Transfers of IPv4 Address Space" would allow for transfers between RIRs with reciprocal policies if it is adopted.

Show or Hide answer How can I find someone offering/seeking IPv4 address space?

It is up to LIRs and/or End Users to arrange their own transfers. However, for transfers of allocated PA space, the RIPE NCC has developed a listing service for members to advertise the IPv4 resources they are offering/seeking.

LIRs are under no obligation to use the service, and may arrange transfers independently.

Show or Hide answer How long will it take to approve a transfer?

It is difficult to give an exact timeframe, as it will depend on the type of transfer and the amount of additional documentation required. However, we will do our best to process any transfers as soon as possible.

Show or Hide answer Can Provider Independent (PI) space be transferred?

Yes, Provider Independent (PI) IPv4 space can be transferred according to section 6.4 of “IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region".

Additionally, in the case of a merger or acquisition, the registration of these resources can be updated to reflect the new holder. This is explained further in the Mergers and Acquisitions section.

Show or Hide answer Is there a cost for processing a transfer?

No. The RIPE NCC processes transfers as a service to its members.

Show or Hide answer I have questions about legacy space, who can I contact?

If you have any questions about transferring or registering legacy space, you can call +31 20 535 4455 or email legacy _at_ ripe _dot_ net.

Show or Hide answer Can I transfer Provider Independent (PI) space that currently is not registered with a sponsoring LIR?

No. A transfer of Provider Independent (PI) space can take place only if both the offering and receiving party fulfil the contractual requirements for independent resources.

Show or Hide answer Can I buy or sell IPv4 address space?

Yes. RIPE Policies use the term "transfer", but this can include any agreement to buy or sell address space.

The RIPE NCC has no role to play in any financial agreement between members.