FAQ: Resource Requests

Show or Hide answer According to the IP Resource Analyst (IPRA), my request is not yet complete. Am I required to send a completely new request form?

No. The IPRA will indicate the incomplete information. The IPRAs prefer you to provide the necessary information attached underneath the text of the message you receive.

Show or Hide answer How do I determine what counts as my infrastructure, and what is considered to be a customer's network?

IP addresses used solely to connect an end-user to a provider's network can be counted as part of the provider's infrastructure. They can be registered to the provider in the RIPE Database as part of a single aggregated block within their allocated IP space.

For example: a point-to-point link between a provider and an end-user's network could be registered to the provider. However, IP addresses used by an end-user for their own network need to be registered to that end-user.

This means that if a provider has an access router with 64 ports for connecting customer leased lines and they want to use a /30 network for point-to-point links for each leased line, they could register the network as a single /24 assignment. However, should the customer have a /30 network on their side of the router this would need to be registered to the end-user in the database.


Show or Hide answer Do I have to provide the planned usage of my network to get a /22 of IPv4 address space

No. To obtain your one time /22 IPv4 allocation, you only have to confirm that you have plans to make assignment(s) from the allocation.

The RIPE NCC is allocating IPv4 address space from the last /8 according to section 5.1 of “IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region”.

Show or Hide answer Can I split up assignments? How?

In many cases it's no problem to split assignments. You can delete the original object and then create two (or more) new objects for the parts you want to separate. Please keep in mind that assignments are only valid as long as the original assignment criteria does not change.

Show or Hide answer Can I combine assignments? How?

Yes. You can delete the original object(s) and then create one new object for the whole range.

It is NOT allowed to combine separate networks operated by different customers in a single object.

Show or Hide answer When can I request an additional IPv4 allocation?

When you need more IP space and have not yet received a one time /22 from the last /8, you may request this as an additional IPv4 allocation.

Please note that you have to be a RIPE NCC member to receive the /22 IPv4 allocation.

When LIRs have already received a /22 from the RIPE NCC, additional address space can be transferred between RIPE NCC members.

Related links:

Show or Hide answer What are the criteria for obtaining an AS number?

RFC 1930 states: "An AS is only needed when you have a routing policy which is different from that of your border gateway peers".

This means that you will be connecting to two or more Autonomous Systems with different routing policies.

In your request you must show us details of the routing policy you will have when you multi-home in the very near future.

The template(s) you need to complete are found in the "RIPE NCC Autonomous System Number Request Form", which is located at:


More information can be found in the RIPE Document, "Autonomous System (AS) Number Assignment Policies and Procedures".

Show or Hide answer How do I request an AS Number?
You can submit a request for an AS number via the form in the LIR Portal.
Show or Hide answer I am not happy with the way my request has been evaluated. What can I do?

The RIPE NCC has an internal escalation procedure for handling concerns about the way your request has been handled. You can ask for any request to be escalated by sending an email to hostmaster@ripe.net and quoting the relevant ticket number. Your request will then be reviewed and assessed by senior staff.

If your concern is of a more serious nature, please refer to the RIPE NCC's Conflict Arbitration Procedure.