FAQ: IPv4 Address space

Show or Hide answer How can I get IPv4 addresses?

If you are a RIPE NCC member (LIR), you may be eligible for a one-time allocation of a /22 (1,024 IPv4 addresses).

If you are not a RIPE NCC member you cannot receive an IPv4 allocation from the RIPE NCC. You may be able to get an IPv4 assignment from an upstream provider (RIPE NCC member).

IPv4 address space may also be available from other RIPE NCC members on the RIPE NCC's Listing Service.

Related links:

The RIPE NCC has begun to allocate IPv4 address space from the last /8. This means that section 5.1 of “IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region” is now in effect.

Show or Hide answer What is a Local Internet Registry (LIR)?

"Local Internet Registry" (LIR) is the term used to describe RIPE NCC members. LIRs are responsible for the distribution and registration of address space at a local level. LIRs ensure that Internet number resource allocation policies and procedures that are proposed, discussed and accepted by the RIPE community are followed on a local level. The majority of RIPE NCC members are:

  • Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that need to assign and allocate address space to their own customers
  • Telecommunication organisations/academic institutions that require large blocks of address space for their own networks

Large corporations, governments and regulators also become members.

Show or Hide answer Who can become a Local Internet Registry (LIR)/RIPE NCC member?

Any organisation with a legally established office in the RIPE NCC service region can become a member of the RIPE NCC.

Show or Hide answer Can I buy IP addresses from the RIPE NCC?

No. Internet number resources (IPv4, IPv6 and Autonomous System (AS) Numbers) are a shared public resource and do not have a value.

Members are charged fees based on the services that they receive from the RIPE NCC.

Show or Hide answer How much does the RIPE NCC charge to assign/allocate IP addresses?

The RIPE NCC charges an annual service fee based on the services that a member receives from the RIPE NCC. The annual service fee charged to each member is related to the workload involved in providing the services requested.

Show or Hide answer How long can I continue to use the IP addresses that the RIPE NCC assigns/allocates to me?

You have the right to continue to use Internet number resources obtained from the RIPE NCC as long as they are being used in accordance with the allocation and assignment policies that are set by the RIPE community and as long as your RIPE NCC membership is current

Show or Hide answer What is the difference between an IP address assignment and an IP address allocation?

An allocation is the block of IP addresses that is reserved by the RIPE NCC for your use now and in the future. An assignment is a block of IP addresses from your allocation that is used on an active network.

Show or Hide answer I am already a RIPE NCC member. Where can I find the forms to request IP addresses?

You can use the Resource request form (requires authentication).

Show or Hide answer Where can I find out information about Internet number resource allocation and assignment policies?

Assignment and allocation policies made by the RIPE community can be found in the RIPE Document Store

Show or Hide answer Can I get IP address space from my ISP?

Yes, if you need a small amount of IP address space you can obtain an IPv6 LIR to ISP allocation or an IPv4 Provider Aggregatable (PA) assignment or sub-allocation from an upstream provider.

See "IPv6 Address Allocation and Assignment Policy" for more information about IPv6 allocations and assignments.

Although the RIPE NCC is unable to allocate IPv4 address space to non-members, an upstream provider might be able to provide you with a limited amount of IPv4 address space.

The RIPE NCC can provide a one-time allocation of a /22 (1,024 IPv4 addresses) to members who meet the requirements.

Related links:

Show or Hide answer Can I obtain a class C address block?

No. Classful addressing (class A, class B, class C, etc) is redundant. The original model for distributing IP addresses, based on classful addressing strategies, did not take into account the massive expansion of Internet use and was unable to scale to meet this expansion.

Classless Inter Domain Routing (CIDR) is one of the fundamental requirements for eligibility to receive IP address ranges.

Address space is referred to by prefix length (or subnet mask). For example, /24 ("slash 24") refers to 256 IP addresses, or the equivalent of a former class C. A /19 refers to 8,192 IP addresses, or the equivalent of 32 former class Cs.

Show or Hide answer Can the RIPE NCC recommend an ISP who can give me IP addresses?

No. Because the RIPE NCC is a neutral and impartial organisation, it cannot recommend an ISP for you. Although you can check the list of RIPE NCC members to find an ISP, the RIPE NCC does not endorse or make any recommendations about the suitability or types of services offered by any of its members.

Show or Hide answer I would like to change Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Can I take the IP addresses I currently use to my new ISP?

It depends on what kind of address space you have and what you are using the addresses for:

  • If you are an End User with Provider Aggregatable (PA) address space assigned to you by an upstream provider and you change to a new provider, you must return the addresses to the provider that assigned it to you.
  • If you have Provider Independent (PI) address space, it remains assigned to its End User as long as the criteria for the original assignment are met. So, if you change ISPs, there's no need to return it.

For further information on PA and PI address space please refer to: IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region.

Show or Hide answer How do I apply for a temporary IPv4 block?

It is possible to request temporary resources for deployment for a specific time-limited purpose. For details, see the FAQ: Temporary Internet Number Assignment.

Show or Hide answer Can an Internet Exchange Point (IXP) get an IPv4 assignment from the last /8?

Yes. It is possible to request an IXP assignment from the last /8.

For details, see Use of last /8 for PA Allocations.