Basic IPv6 Training Course Outline
NOTE: If you have already deployed IPv6 on your network, this course may not be appropriate for you. Please read the outline below before registering.
After completing this course, you will:
- Be able to create a deployment plan for IPv6 in your organisation
- Understand the differences and similarities between IPv4 and IPv6
- Know that deploying IPv6 will enable continued IP networking growth
- Understand the implications of running out of available IPv4 address space
Who should attend:
You should attend this training course if you are a staff member of a Local Internet Registry (LIR) and if you:
- Are thinking about deploying IPv6 in your organisation
- Have been told that you need to deploy IPv6
- Need to convince your manager that IPv6 must be deployed
- Looked at an IPv6 address and thought it was too complicated to deploy in your network
- IPv6 Address Basics
- Getting it
- Exercise: Making Assignments
- Transition Mechanisms
- Exercise: Addressing Plan
- Exercise: Configuring IPv6
- Real Life IPv6 Deployment
This course does NOT cover:
- Technical details of IPv6
- How to configure routers, servers or other devices for IPv6
- How to operate a Local Internet Registry (LIR)
It is assumed that you are familiar with common IP terminology and have practical knowledge of running an IP network.
- The Basic IPv6 training course is based on examples and practical exercises to help remove some of the fear related to IPv6 deployment and to enable you to think about your organisation's IPv6 deployment plan.
- At the course, we hand out a USB stick containing the course material and a printed version of the slides.
- You can also download the course material.
You can register for this course via the LIR Portal by completing the application form.
If you have any questions about registration, please write to training _at_ ripe _dot_ net.
All RIPE NCC training courses are conducted in English.
We ask everyone to arrive to the course location at 09:00 for coffee. The course starts at 09:30 and finishes at 17:30.
To give as many LIRs as possible the chance to attend RIPE NCC training courses, we can only accept two people from the same LIR per training course. If more than two attendees from an LIR apply, they will be placed on a waiting list and only be admitted to the course once free places become available and on a first come, first served basis.
The cost of this course is covered by each LIR's membership fee. The course includes lunch and training materials. Travel expenses and accommodation costs during the training course are not included.
More details on the training course policies are available from the RIPE NCC LIR Training Policies.