IPv4 Transfers - General Overview
This section gives a general overview on IPv4 address space transfers.
Before looking into transfers, members can check whether they are eligible to receive a final /22 allocation of IPv4 address space directly from the RIPE NCC.
Different Kinds of Transfers
Broadly speaking, transfers of IPv4 address space fall into four categories:
- A transfer between members of that was previously allocated by the RIPE NCC
- A transfer between End Users of IPv4 PI address space that was previously assigned by the RIPE NCC
- A transfer of address space by way of a
- A transfer of that was originally allocated prior to the existence of the RIPE NCC
All four kinds of transfer are possible under existing RIPE Policy. Each type is handled differently, and the relevant sections provide more detail.
Updating the Company Name
If a member has changed their legal name, this will need to be updated prior to the RIPE NCC processing any transfers. To update the company name in our records, the member can send an email to ncc _at_ ripe _dot_ net and include:
- The new company registration papers
- The official legal documents supporting this change
IPv4 Transfer Listing Service
The IPv4 Transfer Listing Service is a platform for RIPE NCC members to list and exchange the IPv4 address space they hold and no longer need. Members can access the listing service by logging into the LIR Portal.
At the moment transfers are only permitted within the RIPE NCC service region. The proposed "Policy for Inter-RIR Transfers of IPv4 Address Space" would allow for transfers between RIRs with reciprocal policies if it is adopted.
Further Detail on Transfers
For further detail refer to the RIPE Document "Transfer of Internet Number Resource Records and Change of a Member's Official Legal Name".