[mat-wg] Comments on RIPEstat

  • To: mat-wg@localhost
  • From: "Richard L. Barnes" rbarnes@localhost
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 06:36:04 -0500

Hey all,

As Mirjam announced a few days ago, RIPE NCC debuted their RIPEstat toolbox
this morning:
<http://stat.ripe.net/>

RIPEstat is naturally in a very early state of development, and community
feedback is going to be critical for figuring out how it matures, what new
features get added, etc.  So I thought I would start a thread where people
could post any comments they have on the RIPEstat beta.

To start, here are my comments:

-- Overall, I think the tool is pretty well designed.  The interface is very
simple, and the results clearly presented.  I like that different types of
results are displayed in content-appropriate formats (table vs. pie-chart vs.
bar-graph).

-- The purely text-based interface might be

-- I would appreciate it if the sources of metrics could be more clearly
identified.  For example, it's a little hard to interpret BGP data if you don't
know where it's being collected.  The "methodology" links on REX did a good job
of explaining this sort of thing, so maybe they could be ported over to the new
tool?

-- In a similar vein, I notice that the time span for things like the stability
graphs is fixed.  Would be nice to have it adjustable, like in REX.

-- It would be really cool if I could download the underlying data whenever
there's a chart presented.  Seems like that these little micro-data-sets could
be cached along with the rest of the results.

What does everyone else think?

Best,
--Richard