Re: Testing a linksys WRT54GS.

  • From: Rickard Dahlstrand <

  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:38:50 +0200

Lorenzo Colitti wrote:

>> However, maintaining different forks for different hardware revisions
>> might require a non-trivial amount of work, and there's always the
>> possibility that future versions of the WRT54GS might not run linux
>> at all (this seems aleady to be the case with the WRT54G v5.0).
>>
>> Perhaps it would be a good tradeoff to buy a certain number of these
>> up front, install the modified firmware on them, and distribute them
>> to customers?
>

> Another thing that could be done, of course, would be simply to use
> the sveasoft firmware and add user-level modifications to it, e.g. the
> monitoring programs and a simple script to start them on boot.

I'm all for this! The stock sveasoft firmware includes most of the
foundation for doing measurement. All we need to do is to compile a
binary version of the test application and give the user instructions on
how to install it onto the device.

Can I also propose a parallel approach as well.  Can we also do a
modified version of Monowall since this can be deployes to a large
number of different hardware and medias, including Soekris, WRAP,
standard pc's using USB-sticks and cd-roms.

Monowall: http://m0n0.ch/wall/

Rickard.