Re: Proposal: do multicast testing on TTM boxes

  • To: Mark Santcroos <

  • From: Mohacsi Janos <

  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:34:17 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: Gert Doering <
    >,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Mark Santcroos wrote:

Hi Gert,

Gert Doering wrote:
The initial question was "how to monitor the multicast Internet?", and
the answer is *hard* - you can't easily do it from just within one
network, as you never have a proper full view of multicast packets
flowing "to" and "fro".
Is there such a thing as "the multicast Internet"?
I've thought and talked about this before ...

The thing I was told is "nobody does IP multicast as bandwidth is cheap".
This is not true. Lots of people use multicast, even they are not knowing using it. Bandwidth is cheap, but provinding IP multicast is cheaper....

Apparently, people who need multicast-like features do it a few layers higher on the OSI model.

This is not multicast, but bandwidth/resource stealing or proxying....
Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98