ripe-271 comments

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:51:47 +0200

Ann, Brian,

sorry to seem unresponsive. I had not realised that I had dropped off tt-wg and your messages
were just brought to my attention.

As the Ann's concern about the hostcount: There is no intention to publish raw hostcount data.
This policy will remain unchanged. We will not hang ourselves ;-).

As to Brian's concern about TTM shrinking to the academic community: I share this concern.
However my concern about all measurement activites by the RIPE NCC being discontinued because
of preceptions of undue cross-subsidy overrides this. Of course all is not black and white.
We will be working out the details of the new model for TTM based on discussions with all test
box hosts. My personal expectation is that changing the model will result in at least as many
new test-boxes being deployed as old ones dropping out. It also will open the possibility to
*much* more wide spread deployment if we do it right.

I am about to present this to the RIPE meeting and will keep everyone informed about the
ensuing discussion and the development of our thoughts on this.

Daniel