Re: Data Publishing Policy?

  • To: "Henk Uijterwaal \(RIPE-NCC\)" < >
    Dimitrios Kalogeras < >
  • From: Dimitrios Kalogeras < >
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:55:02 +0300

I apologize in case you receive  this  twice.

"Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" wrote:

> (Distribution list cut down a bit in order to avoid overlaps.  Dimitrios
> (and others), if you want to reply, please subscribe to tt-wg first.)
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Dimitrios Kalogeras wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > So I would like you to grant me permission to publish the corresponding
> > tt42 row of the matrix which shows the results to my downstream peers.
>
> This is a detail, but you need to show both the row and column refering to
> tt42.  The row shows the one way delays from tt42 to another side, the
> column the one-way delays from other sides to your test-box.

You are right the complete network's view comes form the row and the
column view..

However I do sympathize the other's concernd. So at this intial step  I
would only
ask
for the one direction (outgoing) being password free.  The other
direction could
be
password protected in any of the following ways, since it does not
originates from
my domain.

> Anyway, more people have asked for this, so I think we should reconsider
> the basic options that we have here:
>
> 1. Leave things as they are, only the host sites can look at the plots.
>
> 2. Change the passwork scheme such that the host sites get 2 passwords,
>    one for the full page and one for the page with their plots.  They can
>    give the second password to their customers.  Customers will be able
>    see the plots for their ISP, but cannot compare data between ISP's.
>    (Unless, of course, they use 2 providers).  Some general information
>    will have to be made public in order to make it understandable (the
>    map of boxes, for example).

> 3. Keep one password and give ISP's the option to give it away to their
>    customers with some restrictions. (e.g. 1 contact person, with the
>    condition not to pass it further). Customers can then look at every
>    plot.

I have  fifty different customers.. Do I use personalized passwords or
the
same one for all of my customers ?. In the later case I have to admit
that
the password checking procedure is not so straight forward.

> 4. Remove the passwords altogether.
>
> Personally, I'm in favor of either #2 or #3.  There are more people who
> have asked for this and I hope that we will move to a stage where our data
> is actually used for practical purposes such as checking SLA's, so #1
> seems too restrictive.

I am in favor of #2.

#3  Difficult to implement.

--