Re: Caching in Europe?

  • To: Mike Schwartz schwartz@localhost
  • From: ber@localhost
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 17:13:43 +0200
  • Cc: ripe@localhost

    >Hank Nussbacher just sent me figures from the April Internet Hunt
    >results, indicating that Switzerland, Denmark and Finland each sent more
    >data into the NSF backbone than they retrieved from it.  The figures
    >weren't broken down by service, but I suspect this is because of FTP.
    >If any network admins in Europe have more information on this, I would
    >be interested in hearing.  It sounds like an ideal opportunity to cache
    >FTP traffic.

It's sort of "common knowledge" that the traffic out of Finland is always
a lot more than traffic to Finland, and indeed this is due to the ftp
archives they have there. So I would say that we do have an excellent
cache in Europe (Finland). How about NSF doing some caching, so people from
over there didn't have to pick up everything from Finland ? :-)

--------
Bjorn Eriksen   SUNET/NORDUnet Operation Center, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm
                Phone: +46 8 7906513  Fax: +46 8 241179
                ber@localhost
               /S=ber/PRMD=sunet/ADMD=sunet/C=se/