Re: cisco TAC

  • To: HANK@localhost (Hank Nussbacher)
  • From: Michel Ghys mghys@localhost
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 93 18:21:07 MET
  • Cc: cisco@localhost, ripe@localhost, mghys@localhost (Michel Ghys), rchapman@localhost, jabrams@localhost
  • Replied: Mon, 22 Mar 93 11:17:11 +0100
  • Replied: Michel Ghys mghys@localhost
  • Replied: HANK@localhost (Hank Nussbacher)

Hi Hank,

As being with Richard Chapman the second person responsible for the
certification program you talk about, I'd like to bring you some basic
answers to your questions.

Cisco's support model is internally divided into 2 'levels' of technical
support.  THe first level of support will help you correcting your config
problems, will give you a quick answer in case your problem is a known
problem, will help diagnose new problems and collect the right info,....

The second level will be involved in complex misbehaviours, will analyse
traces, and finish diagnising the new problems to present a well defined
problem to the development engineering, that will then fix it.

The difference between the USA and Europe that you talk about is due
to the fact that Cisco sells direct in the USA, and uses distributors
in Europe.  In Europe, the first level of support is given by the distributors
and the local cisco field offices.  The second level of support is done
by a support team located in Brussels.

The US TAC is also split internally into these 2 levels. The US customer
sends e-mail to TAC@localhost. The transfer
between level one and 2 is transparent for the customer and done following
specific and efficient rules.

In Europe, the customer calls his distributor, that accesses the second level
team in Brussels when needed also following specific and defined rules.

The world wide certification program will in the future allow some customers
under specific conditions to contact the second level of support directly.

Hope that basic description helps,

Michel.

--
Michel Ghys                                 Telephone     : +32 2 643 26 26