Re: Japanese Public IP providers

  • To:
  • From: (Kazunori Konishi)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 92 20:17:29 JST

  >Subject: Japanese Public IP providers
  >From: Peter Houlder <Peter.Houlder@localhost
  >Date: Fri, 25 Sep 92 10:12:35 +0100
  >Sender: Peter.Houlder@localhost
  >

  >I have been asked by a UK company with Japanese contacts if
  >Japan can offer public IP facilities, so that a user in the
  >UK could speak IP with a Japanese site. I have no clear
  >indication of the commercial/research/academic status of the
  >Japanese site, so a general reply stating the alternatives
  >would be appreciated.
  >
  >All information gratefully received.
  >
  >Peter Houlder

There is NOT a commercial IP provider in Japan now.

There are a few research/academic IP networks in Japan now.
The biggest one is WIDE-internet, the owner of which is jun@localhost.
He is a professor of Keio University.

We, KDD have operated a UUCP public international gateway for more
than seven years, but the regulation for the leased circuit prevents
us serving IP connectivity. We have about 250 companies as members.

jun@localhost and KDD have begun to examine a commercial IP provider.
We are endeavouring to set up a new company this year, and it will
provide a public commercial IP connectivity from January, 1993.
KDD will be a big stock-holder, but the details are negotiating.

The new provider will have an IP link to Europe via U.S.A.

Thanks in advance,

Kazunori Konishi