Ownership of RIPE Database

  • To: Reseaux IP Europeens < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 92 19:56:20 +0200

The RARE Executive is currently conducting research into "ownership" issues
of the RIPE Network Management Database. This research has been requested by
the RARE CoA. The NCC has been asked to help with the research. From my
personal experience this has two parts:

	- preventing abuse of the database

	- ownership of a collection of data made by collaborative
	  effort which is not quite a "collaborative work"

Of course when formalising this the issue of data protection legislation
regularly pops up as well.

I know that some people on this list have experience of dealing with
these issues. I would appreciate their input.

Daniel

PS: Also RIPE as a group might have a position on this.