[atlas] Flood-ping to measure packet loss?
Bartsch, Rene renne.bartsch at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:15:35 CEST 2012
Am 18.07.2012 18:41:11, schrieb Florian Streibelt: > Hi, > > > Am Mi, 18.07.12 um 17:49:35 Uhr > schrieb Antony Antony <> antony at ripe.net> >: > > > > > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48:08AM +0000, Bartsch, Rene wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > > > I've just started hosting a probe and I'm new to the list, so a "Hello" to all! :) > > > > > > Does the probe send simple pings or does it send flood pings (e.g. ping -f -c 1000 <destination>) for detection of packet loss? > > > > > If you would do a flood ping it is more likely you will observe congestion > in the LAN when the probe is connected to a slow uplink. More interesting > for WAN measurements is the loss under 'normal' conditions. Consider the > probe beeing installed at a residential DSL or cable line, where one of > the probes I host ist located. > > If I start a huge download I will have congestion on my upstream because > of the ACKs I send. A probe would now observe huge loss when doing a flood ping. I've installed the first probe (just registered for a second) on a residential socket on today noon. It shows packet loss for c.root-servers.net (22.214.171.124) from time to time and continous packet loss of 100% for m.root-servers.net (126.96.36.199). Netalyzer-Tests show a packet loss of 8-17% for the last two weeks (problems habe been around for about half a year, getting more and more annyoing for the last three month), while connections inside Germany seem to work for the users meanwhile. The 16/1-MBit/s last mile has one or zero non-correctable errors in fifteen minutes (DSL). CPE (IAD 3222 -> IAD 3221 -> Fritzbox 7390) and wiring has been changed completely. For me, it looks like a broken or misconfigured router in the ISPs backbone, but they keep insisting everything is fine with their backbone. :( When I did simple ping tests, no packet loss was shown on the unused line, but when using a flood ping with 1000 packets I can see packet loss. As I'm no forensic scientist I'm trying to find a way to localize the problem ... -- Sent with love from the new tine 2.0 email client ... Please visit http://tine20.org -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/ripe-atlas/attachments/20120718/0f432271/attachment-0001.html