New Document available: ripe-135

  • To: "RIPE Discussion List" < >
  • From: RIPE NCC Document Annoucement Service < >
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:08:46 +0200
  • Cc: NCC Contributors < >
    TERENA Executive Comittee < >

New/Revised RIPE Document Announcement
--------------------------------------
A revised/new document is available from the RIPE document store.

Ref:           ripe-135
Title:         RIPE NCC Quarterly Report Q1-1996
Author:        Daniel Karrenberg, Carol Orange
Date:          19 April 1996
Format:        PS=534649 TXT=83751
Obsoletes:
Obsoleted by:
Updates:       ripe-116
Updated by:
See also:

Summary
-------

The Q1-1996 Quarterly

       In this report, we aim to inform the RIPE community
       in general and the RIPE NCC Contributors Committee
       in particular of our activities during the first
       quarter of 1996 and our plans for the next one.

       Due to the severe resource shortage we experienced
       in the last couple of years the series of quarterly
       reports had to be interrupted for two years.  This
       report represents a new start at the series with a
       revised and improved format.  We welcome any com-
       ments and suggestions to further improve the useful-
       less of these reports.

Management Summary

       The European Internet keeps growing.  66 new local
       Internet registries started operations during
       Q1-1996.  This is more than one per working day and
       again more than foreseen.  During Q1-1996 alone, we
       manually handled 9,173 messages and automatically
       handled 21,653 messages that were sent to the RIPE
       NCC role mailboxes.

       Registration services continued to operate normally,
       albeit with an increasing backlog due to factors
       including increased demand and some hostmaster staff
       leaving unexpectedly.  We have successfully hired
       very promising replacements for the hostmasters who
       left us.  We continued gathering hostcounts, provid-
       ing local registry courses and information services
       on the Internet.

       Significant activities during the quarter were the
       beta release of an improved RIPE database software
       package, implementation and initial deployment of
       the new request tracking system for part of the man-
       ually handled messages, continuing work on the a new
       WWW site as well as analysis and reduction of redun-
       dant routing information originated by European
       autonomous systems.  Also the long expected business
       manager has started.

       The financial situation is very healthy with 60% of
       this year's planned expenditure already received in
       revenue.

       During Q1-1996 we have further consolidated current
       activities.  We also consider it significant that
       after a long time we succeeded to start a new tech-
       nical activity, reacting quickly to a requirement
       from the RIPE community.  We made plans for re-
       structuring of the systems and software area within
       the NCC and obtained authorisation from TERENA to
       hire staff to strengthen this area as well as one
       additional hostmaster in registration services.

       During Q2-1996 significant activities will include
       training of new hostmaster staff, more training
       courses for local Internet registries, development
       and deployment of hierarchical authorisation for the
       RIPE database, completion of the ripe-104++ document
       on local IR policies, launching of the new WWW site
       and the (re)start of more technical activities.

       Strategically we observe that the Internet is cur-
       rently changing too quickly for stringent 12 month
       planning cycles.  We will make efforts to adapt more
       quickly to these changes.  We expect to propose
       changes to the 1996 NCC budget during the next quar-
       ter.

       Considering the rapidly changing environment it sup-
       ports and operates in, the RIPE NCC is healthy and
       functioning well.
FTP Access
----------
All RIPE documents and Internet RFC`s are available via anonymous FTP
from host ftp.ripe.net.  Type "ftp ftp.ripe.net".

Login with username "anonymous" supplying your email address as the
password.  After logging in, type "cd ripe/docs/" followed
by the command "get filename".

The relevant filenames for this document are:

	ripe-135.txt	for the ASCII version
	ripe-135.ps	for the PostScript version

Electronic Mail Retrieval of Documents
--------------------------------------
Documents can also be retrieved from the RIPE document store using a
mail server program.  For more information on how to use the program,
send email to: mail-server@localhost with "send HELP" in the body text.

RIPE NCC Interactive Information Server
---------------------------------------
Type "telnet info.ripe.net".  This is a menu driven service allows
the document store to be browsed.  After reading documents you are
prompted as to whether you would like to receive an email copy of the
document you have just read.  If you would, you simply enter your email
address and the document will be mailed to you.

Below are details of alternative methods of access.

Gopher Access
-------------
The same documents are available via a "gopher" server at
"gopher gopher.ripe.net".

WAIS Access
-----------
There is also a "WAIS" server at wais.ripe.net, where there is a WAIS index
for RIPE documents "ripe-docs.src"

WWW Access
----------
For those who wish to add this home page at the RIPE NCC to their own
customized home pages, it can be accessed as:

http://www.ripe.net

MIME Mail Reader
Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the RIPE document by
FTP or mail server.

<ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-135.txt>

<<< message/external-body; access-type="mail-server"; server="mail-server@localhost": Unrecognized >>>
<ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs//ripe-135.ps>