Draft minutes from lir-wg at RIPE 41
Hans Petter Holen
Tue Apr 16 10:43:36 CEST 2002
Dear WG, The RIPE NCC have just finished the draft minutes and published them on the RIPE web site under: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/lir/r41-minutes.html RIPE Meeting: 41 Working Group: LIR Status: 1st Draft Revision Number: 1 Please mail comments/suggestions on: content to the Chair of the working group. format to webmaster at ripe.net. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- Draft Minutes of the LIR Working Group session of the RIPE 41 Meeting 14-18 January 2002, at the Krasnapolsky Hotel, Amsterdam, Netherlands. ----------------------------------- Chair: James Aldridge Vice-Chair: Denesh Bhabuta Scribe: Jeannette Decades ----------------------------------- Agenda: A. Admin - scribe, participant list, charter, mailing-lists B. Agenda bashing C. RIPE 39+40 (minutes & actions) D. Report from the RIPE NCC Hostmasters E. RIPE 185 ("European Internet Registry Policies and Procedures") F. Change of policy for Portable address space G. RFC 2050 ("European Internet Registry Policies and Procedures") revision H. Report from The Address Council Y. Any Other Business Z. Open Microphone. Denesh Bhabuta (DB): Hans Petter Holen couldn't make it. So the meeting will have to do with James Aldridge and myself, Denesh Bhabuta. We want to set a ground rule: One of the complaints from the past was that the LIR WG has been fed with too many discussions. Discussions are supposed to happen on the mailing lists and policy decisions are to be made at the meeting. James Aldridge (JA): The agenda was sent out yesterday to the mailing list. ======================== A: Scribe. ======================== DB: Could we have a non-RIPE staff scribe please? No reactions. A RIPE staff member is scribe. ======================== B: Agenda bashing ======================== JA: Are there any additional items for the agenda? No reactions. ======================== C: RIPE 39 and RIPE 40 minutes and actions. ======================== JA: The minutes are on the website since November we think. Actions as it appears on the website, few of them are very old actions from RIPE 35, 36 and 38. Most of these had something happened since the last RIPE meeting. A lot of it is ongoing work. The 38.5 LIR-Allocated, my original suggestion, is now LIR-Partitioned and some email is sent out this week. It is now in the test database and will go live real soon now. Working group chair roles is working fine since Hans Petter Holen is not here and I am. Policy action undivided address space action on the working group to participate on the RFC 2050 is in progress. ======================= D: Report from the RIPE NCC Hostmasters ======================== Presentation of Sabrina Waschke can be found at: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-41/presentations/lir-rsreport /index.html Some additional comments from Sabrina on the slides: RS staffing. We have now 5 teams. Three new hostmasters are starting in January. At this point we hope to be fully staffed and can cope with the workload. And as you can see, you have probably seen it before, we also work on future growth. (Sabrina shows her big belly). Number of requests in hostmaster at ripe.net. In 2000, we see a peak but now the graph shows a steady growth. We introduced last year the two-day-turnaround time for ongoing tickets. That meant that when your request was picked up out of the wait queue, a hostmaster dealt with it, you replied, you had to wait for 48 hours before you got a response from us again. That means that correctly filled out requests get a faster approval. The special lir-help at ripe.net mailbox is not holding up normal requests anymore. We still apply the 'approve but educate' approach. Even not perfect requests got approved and we gave tips and information for improvements to get a faster approval next time. Wait queue. The last 6 months the wait queue is low. The last 2 months it is a bit higher, due to Dutch weather (sickness) and Christmas holidays. Total LIRs per region. The growth is slowing down. We don't expect too many new LIRs. IPv4 Allocation distribution. LIRs that are working all over Europe have the country code EU. Policy development. A message was sent out to the LIR WG concerning the /20 criteria. At RIPE 40 the decision about the Assignment Window (AW) for infrastructure for LIRs was decided upon and it was introduced in December 2001. Already 250 objects have been created in the database with the INFRA-AW extension. Not all of them are valid. Some LIRs have tried to use this to clean up the database. RS services are working on a document that tries to cover everything concerning mergers, take-overs and closures of LIRs. IPv6. The assignments for Exchange Points have been introduced in August 2001. E: RIPE 185 ("European Internet Registry Policies and Procedures") ======================== Nurani Nimpuno (NN): We encourage everyone to look at the document and to give comments. We're speaking about the new policy draft document for IPv4 policies. The document has been out on the web for 5 months and there was very little activity. The couple of comments that have been made have been published on the LIR WG mailing list. JA: I'm not sure how much more we can do. There hasn't been very much discussion on the mailing list about this. My opinion is this, more profitable work is done on the mailing list. Then we can come to the RIPE meetings for final decisions, rather than having long drawn-out arguments and conversations here. But are there any brief comments from anyone here? Because we're actually ahead of schedule and I'm trying to think of anything to fit in a bit of time. I encourage everyone to join the mailing list and to participate in the revision process. The email address is ripe-185bis at ripe.net. ======================== F: Change of policy for Portable address space ======================== JA: The question is if people are happy with the new policy? No reaction. DB: Are people aware of the policy change? It's about the requirements of a /22 immediate or the previously use of a /22 to become a new LIR. This was voted on at the last RIPE meeting. Any thoughts? Are people finding it difficult with their customers who want to be mainly multi-homed? Comments? No? We will continue this discussion on the mailing list. ======================== G: RFC 2050 ("European Internet Registry Policies and Procedures") revision ======================== JA: The agenda on the web was wrong about this one. This should be the RFC 2050, the global Internet Registries guidelines, which is being revised and prolong sides the European policy. Again joining the mailing list for participation and discussion is appreciated. Are there any comments for now? Mark Mcfadden (mcf at uwm.edu): I'll give a brief update. There is a mailing list available through ARIN for the global RFC 2050 discussion. Part of that working group, there are also some milestones. We're a little bit behind on those because of some things that happened at the end of last year. But we can start see there again is some movement forward. So I encourage anyone who is interested in the discussion of the revision of RFC 2050 to make sure that you're part of that mailing list. Mailing list address: rfc2050-WG at arin.net JA: Any questions, comments, anything? Comment from ?: I think that there are more hostmasters here are than LIRs. ======================== H: Report from The Address Council ======================== Barbara Roseman gave a report from the Address Council. Slides can be found at: ======================== Y: Any Other Business ======================== UUNET: There has been a discussion on the mailing list about PI - multihomed issues. The question raised if multi-homed is always needed or not. We have customers that need multi-homing. But not all providers will route small address blocks. JA: I don't know if there's anything that the LIR WG can do to force providers to route any particular address space. I would be inclined, rather than a policy change our of LIRs, have the Routing WG work on this issue and come up with a 'best practice or something'. DB: We can talkabout 'best practice' but there are commercial realities behind this as well. A lot of ISPs have customer requirements to fulfill. You're not the only person who has spoken about this issue with us and it has mainly come up since the last policy change. This was about the minimum requirement of a /22 before we can get address space. Are there any suggestions? UUNET: As far as I can see, the company that I work for, which is UUNET, is thinking about(at least the hostmaster is, which I am not) having a policy where you accept other provider's PA space instead of trying to go the PI route. This is current thinking, this is no decision, but the problem is we don't have a consistent policy across our AS and we'd like to implement one. Before we implement it we'd like to have consistent policy within RIPE. The problem is that whenever we get the discussion, everybody starts jumping and shouting saying: "Multi-homing". Then the discussion dies because multi-homing is the issue. But before we solve that problem we would like to have something implemented that is workable right now instead of waiting until we solve the mult-homing discussion, which seems to be without a logical solution. DB: My suggestion is that we take this up with the Routing WG as well and maybe we can make this into an action item from this meeting. UUNET: I didn't raise it in the Routing WG yesterday, thinking that was more appropriate to the LIR WG. I guess there were some initiatives in the community, but they all died. So I wonder if there's anybody else that feels like this, something we need to resolve rather sooner than later. DB: Any other comments? No reaction. UUNET: I guess there's too much RIPE NCC people here as previously discussed. DB: We'll set it as an action point. JA: This is the first new action point from this RIPE meeting. Any other questions, comments? I think this is about it for this morning. Please participate on the mailing lists. It does make it so much easier if there's been discussion before RIPE meetings. We can then reach final decisions at these WG-meetings.
[ lir-wg Archive ]