Re: The Cidr Report

  • To:
  • From: Simon Leinen < >
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:12:16 +0100
  • Cc:

Daniel Roesen writes:
> Well, it boils down that if you have enough customers, you seem to
> get away with about any antisocial behaviour on the net.

You don't need to have many customers, it's just more fun if you have
a larger space that you can deaggregate.  Since everybody stopped
filtering you can deaggregate everything into /24s today and get away
with it.  So as soon as you have a /23 you can play.  And there are
just too many "valid reasons" to resist.

Around here most ISPs, when they announce new customer routes, send
mail to their peers saying "we will announce these prefixes under
these paths, please update your filters".  I often respond with a
friendly note that we will filter this or that prefix because it's a
more specific of a PA prefix (which we will actually do, although it
doesn't matter that much since we always have a fallback).  Sometimes
I offer to put in a temporary (usually a year) filter exception so
that they can renumber their new customer into aggregatable space.

It doesn't help often, but sometimes it does.
"Think globally, act locally."
--
Simon.