Re: questions

  • To: Jim Reid < >
    Max Tulyev < >
  • From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:46:02 +0000

Hi again Jim, folks,
- Current resolvers do switch to TCP, but I know of clients that
only talk UDP.
Yup, EDNS0 is a solution, but these cut-down UDP-only DNS clients
may well not handle that either.
Before the obvious "well, don't do it" answer is elicited, Mobile
Phones are small and can be nasty environments with a laughable
amount of memory and/or ugly apologies for a networking API.
In such limited clients, a DNS answer with the truncation flag
set is a fact of life. I, for one, would like to use ENUM before
this situation improves (or hell freezes over, whichever comes 1st).

- By no means all DNS servers accept TCP queries. Even if someone
has configured the server to do so, firewalls outside of their
control may well block TCP traffic on port 53 - (it has happened :).

Many thanks for the mention of DNSSEC - Honestly, I simply forgot it.
If I understand your earlier comments, this tends to blow the 512 byte limit
out of the water, so DNSSEC is pretty much incompatible with UDP without
EDNS0 for full (i.e. not stub) resolvers.

I would be surprised if full DNSSEC-capable resolvers turned up in my mobile phone
anytime soon, but maybe they can work with a full resolver that does do DNSSEC.

Now, who's going to tell the IT Department that 53/UDP is not enough?
... and finally, the hard bit - who's going to explain to them why :(?

all the best,
Lawrence