Re: [FWD] Introduction of new FWD "experimental" service - FWD Vanity Numbers

  • To: "Stastny Richard" < >
    "Free World Dialup - The Future of Dialing" < >
  • From: Richard Shockey < >
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:30:21 -0400

At 11:41 PM 8/8/2003 +0200, Stastny Richard wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I fully agree with you that FWD is the ideal playground to experiment
and try out new ideas and I also appreciate this. I have learned a lot
by thinking about this type of service and got ideas how to do things
or not to do things. The advantage of FWD is that is is free and therefore
may change or revise things if they do not work out quite easily.
Exactly

We have seen this with numbering plan changes in the PSTN and regardless
if you align your numbering plan with E.164 or create a new one (as suggested
by some members here), finally all
similar systems will have to work together in a consistent way and then
any change will again cause troubles with customers, because they will
rely on it in various way (consider changing all numbers in your directory).
Try even suggesting renumbering the NANP ... see what happens ...

As we have also seen in the PSTN, you cannot be perfect from the beginning
and avoid numbering plan changes, but you should try to keep them to a minimum.

Using numbers you should not forget that this is an inverted tree with not many
choices, so if you use up one number of the first digit it is gone, reducing your numberspace
regardless how big it is by 10%.

And for what its worth I totally agree with Richard here ...and in large part with Jeff.

The difference in views is that FWD etal is a not for profit sandbox attempting to prove a point ( and very well I might add ) .

However there is a very large constituency that would like to create for profit global services that people can rely on and build business on.

I do not need to remind folks that the Internet would not work if it were not for the global consistency and Uniqueness of the IP numbering scheme (managed by the fine folks at RIPE, APNIC, ARIN etc) and the global single unique root of the DNS. You can say what you will about ICANN etc but it works ( well sort of ) .

The PSTN actually is no different. The PSTN works because, in part, because the E.164 plan is globally managed and controlled to maintain the same globally unique administrative pattern we have in IP addressing and domain names.

Sandboxes are fine but I'm a raging red-blooded capitalist. I know SIP works. Because I want a global SIP service that means I have to sacrifice something which in this control of naming and addressing. That was the ultimate compromise we made in ENUM itself. To maintain absolute consistency with the E.164 plan the administrative model of e164.arpa had to match that of the E.164 plan itself perfectly ,which meant we collectively ceded control to the Nation States and the other administrative bodies that controlled the various portions of E.164.

best regards
Richard