Re: ENUM trials in general

  • To: Kevin McCandless < >
  • From: Carsten Schiefner < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:51:54 +0100
  • Cc:

[CC: trimmed]

Kevin,

Kevin McCandless wrote:
During the US ENUM forum discussions we spent a considerable amount of time
on the issue of whois.  It was agreed that a whois like process for ENUM
would not be acceptable in today's privacy concerns.  The details of the
recommendation starts at section 9.5.  Also, by providing a whois at the
tier 0 completely undermines the sovereign decisions of each nation on how
to handle personal identifiable information.
my understanding of the proposal for this temporary directory (to facilitate interoperability tests amongst national trials and across national borders) was that it is #1 clearly opt-in on the Tier1 level and #2 the data set is minimal. Especially no prejudice whatsoever shall be taken whether or how such a whois/directory service will be deployed on a permanent basis.

Maybe the proponents can comment here to gain back the original scope of the discussion?

Thanks & best,

Carsten