Re: ENUM trials in general

  • To: "Stastny Richard" < >
  • From: Jim Reid < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:27:32 -0800

    Stastny> and I add another reason: get cheap beta-testers
    Stastny> these guys do not have a problem with privacy, so=20 what
    Stastny> is the problem?

The law. Data protection and privacy legislation still applies even if
the data subjects don't care about the privacy if their data.

    Stastny> A ENUM subsciber opt-in in User ENUM does anyway have no
    Stastny> serios problem with privacy and a nonlisted subscriber
    Stastny> opting in in ENUM needs to have his head examined anyway.

Maybe. But I have two unlisted numbers which I'll be entering in the
UK trial. They're not secret: my office numbers just aren't listed in
the phone book.

If we turn things around, it's possible that whois requirements could
discourage people to come forward in the trials. For instance I'm
happy to enter my phone numbers in ENUM. But I would not be happy
having them tied to a whois entry containing my home or office address.

    Stastny> Most people talking about nonlisted numbers in ENUM (and
    Stastny> blocks of telco numbers) are mixing up User and
    Stastny> Infrastructure ENUM.

Indeed, but in this context I definitely wasn't mixing the two.