Re: RE: Re: ENUM trials in general

  • To: "Sabine Dolderer/Denic" < >
    "Stastny Richard" < >
  • From: Michael Haberler < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:30:48 +0100
  • Cc:
    Gerhard Winkler < >

While it is not a fullblown directory, it would be useful to automatically collate the pointers to local enum whois directories by automatically reading the e164.arpa directory tree, and generate a html page with links to the respective whois service for a cc.

This is not only harmless from the system mothering & administration perspective, it would mildly "encourage" national trials to have the proper SRV RR entries. Those without SRV record wouldnt be listed. Instant adoption of SRV records...

That should be good enough to automate the whois information collation. It doesnt solve the delegated numbers list. Can we have a second SRV record for the numbers directory for those which have one?

maybe a "DIR" record? or is there an applicable ENUM NAPTR record which can be abused to provide the directory pointer information?

-Michael

At 12:14 25.02.2003 +0100, Sabine Dolderer/Denic wrote:

Hello Richard,

On 25.02.2003 12:01 "Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@localhost wrote:

> Hi Sabine,
>
> So if I understand you correctly, you suggest that RIPE should provide:
>
> 1. WHOIS querying capability (as now for the ccTLD) linked to the national
> WHOIS (if existing)

Yes. I think this should either work already by using the MNT-LOWER and referal mechanism of the RIPE-DB. Another possible mechanism
for the future would be to use the SRV-RR to locate whois services. The mechanism was developed in the CENTR tech-wg. A presentation
of the mechanism you can find on http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-42/presentations/ripe42-dns-srv/sld001.html. There
are already clients available which support this approach.

> In ETSI TS 102 172 the following is stated anyway:
>
> "* WHOIS type capability:
> Within ENUM (e164.arpa) a WHOIS type capability SHALL be used to provide
> similar information for delegated full ENUM domain names (associated with
> assigned E.164 numbers) at the ENUM Tier 1 Registry level. This is considered
> as required during the trials and shall be harmonized. Whether all or parts
of
> this information conforms with the elements stated in the note above or is
made
> publicly available is a national matter."
>

> 2. A list of delegated numbers:
> Since the WHOIS is useless if you do not have the number, RIPE may provide a
> link to each trial providing the following facility as nic.at is providing
> with the list of Trialparticipants on their enum.nic.at webpage.

There is also the possibility to provide these lists via whois like it was done for domains in the past. But that would generate
another potential spam-ressource

Sabine

]