RE: ETSI on Minimum Requirements for European ENUM Trials

  • To: "Richard Shockey" < >
    "Jim Reid" < >
    "Stastny Richard" < >
  • From: "Christian de Larrinaga" < >
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:49:42 +0100

> >ENUM trials present the perfect opportunity to look at the issues
> >surrounding the deployment of DNSSEC. [Nobody has done this, so any
> >claims DNSSEC is "way off the current state" are not based on hard
> >facts or real-world experience. The truth is nobody knows either way
> >because DNSSEC hasn't been deployed beyond trivial proof-of-concept
> >setups.] The reality is DNSSEC exists and works.
>
> So why isnt .COM .NET and .ORG signed?  .UK .DE .US ???   Jim,we
> both know
> the answer.
>
> I totally reject the notion that at this stage of DNSSEC deployment and
> development it should be a requirement of any ENUM trial.  Maybe at some
> later date...

I'd like to see DNSSEC trialed in the UK. ENUM in the real world will need
DNSSEC availability.

I think it will be unfortunate if the ENUM trials are considered incomplete
for not having a DNSSEC component. Whether we need to have DNSSEC throughout
the trials is more doubtful but if we can encourage some participants to
trial DNSSEC with ENUM I fail to see why this should be not accomodated?

Christian de Larrinaga

Chairman - The Voice Exchange (EMEAA)
Network Brokers

Director - IPv6Task Force UK
Director - Domain Spring Clean UK
Founder Chairman - Internet Society of England

member Assistance Group ICANN ccNSO
latest report
<http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/ccnsoag-report-22oct02.htm>