Re: [db-wg] Proposal for automated clean-up of references by name

  • To: Janos Zsako zsako@localhost
  • From: Engin Gunduz engin@localhost
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:24:31 +0100
  • Cc: db-wg@localhost, lir-wg@localhost

Hi Janos,

On 2002-12-05 11:51:45 +0100, Janos Zsako wrote:
> >   From db-wg-admin@localhost Thu Dec  5 11:08:46 2002
> >   From: Gert Doering gert@localhost
>
> >   On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:42:53AM +0100, Engin Gunduz wrote:
> >   > We have prepared a proposal to automatically clean-up references
> >   > by name and other invalid references in RIPE Whois Database.
> >
> >   I like the proposal. Go ahead!
>
> Yes, I agree too.
>
> >   (Yes, it will potentially create lots of "ugly looking" objects - but
> >   the situation right now, where you're not able to delete person objects
> >   because they are locked by a reference-by-name, is much worse)
>
> I have one question though: who will be the maintainer of the new
> "ugly" object created? I have the feeling it could/should be the
> maintainer of the object that will reference it.

That would make sense, when creating person objects, I think.
However, thinking about role objects that will be created:
If we put the once-inconsistent object's maintainer on it,
the users that happen to have the referenced name but have no relation
to the inconsistent object will not be able to delete their
NIC handle from the newly created role object. They will need
to contact the owners of once-inconsistent object, however chances
are that they will be irresponsive (otherwise they would
have updated their inconsistent objects long ago, wouldn't they ;)

So I'd propose putting mntners of relevant inconsistent object
in the new person object, but leaving the new role objects
unmaintained. What do you think?

(as a data point: in the extreme case, one role object will
have references to 171 person objects.)

Best regards,
--
Engin Gunduz