bug in whoisd

  • From: Marten Terpstra < >
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 11:37:34 +0100

Folks,

For weeks we have had a problem with hanging whoisd children that
would not exit, and finally found the problem. If you are running one
of the latest versions of whoisd, make sure you change the following
(no patch, it's just one word, I'll update dbase-beta.tar later):

in whoisd.pl:

in subroutine "parse" there is a while loop like:

while ($string =~ /^-/) {

	if something {
	}
	if something else {
	}
	if something else {
	}
}

and you should replace "next" wih "last" here. This will keep your
whoisd children from hanging. If you want to see if your whoisd has
this problem, telnet to it on port 43, and send it query "-p". If it
returns with "no match etc" it`s fine, but probably it will not
return, and you have a whoisd that eats up mucho CPU...

-Marten