- Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 11:02:59 +0100
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
due to other business duties I will not be able to attend RIPE23 and
organize a Connectivity WG session. Please accept my appologies.
I hereby attach unreviewed minutes from the CWG session at RIPE22.
These minutes have been provided by Keith Mitchel. Thanks a lot.
Sorry for the delay.
Have a nice RIPE meeting.
See you next time
RIPE 22 Connectivity Working Group, 12-Oct-95
Chair: Milan Sterba milan_sterba@localhost Minutes:
Keith Mitchell, keith@localhost
1. Internet Demography in CEE
Table of CEE connectivity presented - hosts, telephones per capita etc
Poland and Czech Republic, then Hungary, have significantly highest
CEE hosts 4.6% of European.
Highest hosts per 1000 population CZ, EE. HU, SI - not far behind
France. (High German figures queried.)
Hosts and phone lines per 1000 pop. figures compared - some countries
have significant potential (BG, LV, LT).
Growth in (host count ?) - highest BG, SI, UA.
Another metric is hosts per SOA - range is ~20-100.
Number of SOAs - highest is Poland.
Hosts/GDP per capita (1991 figures).
Request for feedback/suggestions on usefulness/scope of figures.
2. Per Country Updates
Armenia - 64k satellite to Moscow State Univ.
Bulgaria- connected to AConet in Vienna, and US (64k sat, 2x9.6k
Czechia - CESnet (DANTE Amsterdam, Ebone Vienna) 2x512k
- EUnet CZ (256k)
- PVT 64k to PIPEX by end 95.
- SPT Telecom announcement.
Cyprus - 64k to Hellas On-Line and PIPEX
Hungary - IIF association (formerly SZTAKI)
- HBONE: 128k DANTE, 256k Ebone
- all traffic through Budapest
- PTT Matav putting in 2M circuit to Vienna, 1M for HBONE,
1M for commercial resale
- EUnet HU 64k
- Datanet 128k to Sprint (sat)
- iSYS 64k to PIPEX
- Odin VSAT disconnected from PIPEX due to non-payment - Also
Compuserve, IBM, MSN activity
Baltics - Plans for big NATO civilian programme to connect
"co-operation partners" up for scientific projects
- Looking for NATO country-based partners to help
connect these countries.
Lebanon - X.25 connection to BTnet
- Planned PIPEX connection
- INCOnet to MCI via US ?
Malta - Planned 128k to PIPEX London
Poland - NASK is major provider: 2M to Stockholm, 256k Ebone Vienna,
64k FREEnet Moscow, 64k Luv Ukraine.
- EUnet PL to Germany
- Polish PTT, Telbank and ATM are NASK resellers.
- Minsk in Belarus connecting to PTT (funding problem ?). - More info
at www.nask.org.pl & info.fuw.edu.pl
Romania - DANTE 9.6k.
- Ebone 64k satellite Vienna.
- EUnet RO to Amsterdam
- SIPEX 19.2k VSAT to PIPEX via BankNet in Budapest.
Russia - Two-tier hiercharchy emerging:
- National ISPs - EUnet/Relcom, Demos, Sovam, Runnet. - Small regional
ISPs - some connected to >1 national - International connectivity:
EUnet/Relcom 512k Helsinki
Demos 128k Amsterdam
RoSprint 64k SprintLink (sat)
SOVAM 64k BARRnet/BBN (sat)
Runnet 128k RENATER
Radio-MSU 512k DFN
FREEnet 64k NASK and 64k MCI
RUSnet 64k FUnet
- RIPN group getting together to plan some kind of national
backbone, RBnet. Interconnect point at Moscow 9 major telephone
exchange "M9-IX" being set up. Idea is to
set up similar exchange points in other major cities and connect them.
Yugoslavia (former) = Serbia+Montenegro
- Academic network YUnet currently not connected to Internet - 1200
hosts, 2 Class Bs
- Analogue circuits between cities, 64k within Belgrade.
Slovakia - SANET academic network: 128k to CESnet, 128k to Ebone
- EUnet SK: 64k to EUnet
- 64k Bratislava to Vienna costs 9000DM/month for 60km
(more than transatlantic circuit !).
- More info at www.eunet.sk & www.sanet.sk
- Inbound traffic only 1.5 times outbound traffic.
3. Who are the Absent ?
How do we encourage new providers to attend - discussion.
4. CDS Seminar
Connectivity Data Store - invitation to providers to add links to/from
5. Refocus - who we are, what we do.
Group's main important function is information exchange.