Re: ANTI-SPAM-WG - DRAFT AGENDA FOR RIPE31
- Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:42:52 +0200
- Replied: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:49:07 +0200
- Replied: Jacques VIRCHAUX <Jacques.Virchaux@localhost
A I cannot come to the meeting, I have a suggestion :
- As many ISP have tools to send automatically back a message
we should have also same tools for a whole site.
I am thinking at a tool, able to get the whole email, analyse it
and send appropriate emails to the concerned site(s). It must be
available for a whole site and able to recognize if similar complaint
has already been sent (to avoid unnecesary spam).
I have seen such a similar tool at
Unfortunately this tool does not work for a lot of spams but this could
be a basis.
Some other ideas :
- A blacklist of 'physical' people that have been banned by an ISP should
be available for all the ISP.
- ISP contracts must foresee a penalty to pay for the spammers violating
the Netiquette (using forged addresses, using relays, ...).
- Provide a list of IP-addresses range to filter for ISP unable to stop
spamming (i.e. dialup accounts for most big ISP).
My personnal conclusion is that it is a big work to fight the spammers
but it must be done. The Netiquette is the Internet law which must keep
the freedom of everyone.
Jacques VIRCHAUX Til.: +41 21 693 45 11
Ecole Polytechnique Fidirale de Lausanne Fax: +41 21 693 22 20
Service informatique central
1015 Lausanne E-mail : Jacques.Virchaux@localhost