Routing Security Training Course
With this training course, you will become familiar with the Internet Routing Registry and the RIPE NCC's routing-related services and tools.
After this course you will:
- Understand how to make Internet routing more secure and reliable with the information available in the Routing Registry and Resource Certification (RPKI) system
- Document your routing policy in the RIPE Database with RPSL
- Set up resource certificates
- Use resource certificates to create route origin authorisations (ROAs)
- Use ROAs in the BGP decision-making process
Who should attend:
You should attend this training course if you are part of the technical staff at a Local Internet Registry (LIR) in the RIPE NCC service region (such as network operator, engineer, etc.)
This course is not intended for administrative or management staff (such as hostmasters).
- Introduction to the Routing Registry
- The RIPE Database
- Hierarchical Authorisation
- Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL)
- RPSL in Practice
- Tools and Automation
- Resource Certification (RPKI)
- Route Origination Authorisations (ROAs)
- RPKI Validation
- Router Integration
- Running Your Own Certificate Authority
- Comparison Between RPSL and RPKI, and Between route Objects and ROAs
This course doesn’t cover:
- The basics of routing, or any technical routing topics
- The basics of RIPE Database operations
- How to receive IP addresses from the RIPE NCC
- How to operate a Local Internet Registry (LIR)
- Basic knowledge of the Internet Registry system
- Basic experience in creating and updating objects in the RIPE Database
- Understanding of the BGP protocol and inter domain routing
Please practice the creation of person objects in the Test Database because this will not be covered in the Routing Security Training Course:
- Link to Start-up tool (choose the source “TEST): http://apps.db.ripe.net/startup/
- More information: http://www.ripe.net/data-tools/support/documentation/ripe-database-user-manual-getting-started
- The Routing Security Training Course is based on hands-on practical exercises and demonstration of tools. Throughout the day, various exercises and demonstrations will get you familiar with the tools involved and allow you to practice your newly learned skills.
- At the course, we hand out a USB stick containing the course material and a printed version of the slides.
- You can also download the material.
The material you need to bring:
Please bring your laptop. This course is based on interactive exercises via a web browser. Your laptop should:
- Be able to connect to a wireless network
- Have a web browser installed
You can register as follows:
- Complete the application form through the LIR Portal.
- Send an email to training _at_ ripe _dot_ net. As it can take longer for us to deal with such mails, this is not the recommended way to register for a course.
We can only accept two people from the same LIR per training course. If more then two people apply, they will be placed on the waiting list and only admitted on the course if there are free places.
The costs of this course are covered by the LIR's membership fee. The course includes lunch and training materials. Travel expenses and accommodation during the training course are not included.
More details on the training course policies are available in the RIPE NCC LIR Training Policies Document.
All Routing Security Training Courses are conducted in English.
We ask everyone to arrive by 09:00 for coffee. The course starts at 09:30 and finishes at 17:30.