FAQ: IPv4 Transfer Listing Service
- What is the IPv4 Transfer Listing Service? →
The IPv4 Transfer Listing Service is a platform that enables RIPE NCC members to list the IPv4 address space they hold and no longer need or acquire IPv4 address space from another member.
- Who can use the Listing Service? →
The Listing Service is available to RIPE NCC members only. The Listing Service can be accessed via the LIR Portal. To offer or to request IPv4 address space using this service, a user must have the 'resources' checkbox enabled for their user profile. Please contact your organisation's LIR Portal Administrator about this if you are unable to access the Listing Service.
- Is the Listing Service the only way to get IPv4 addresses? →
No. The RIPE NCC allocates the IPv4 address space it holds according to section 5.1 of "IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region", which states that RIPE NCC members can request a one time /22 allocation (1,024 IPv4 addresses) if they already have an IPv6 allocation. No new IPv4 Provider Independent (PI) space will be assigned.
Any transfer of address space via the Listing Service must comply with section 5.5 of "Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region".
- What does it cost to use the Listing Service? →
The annual RIPE NCC membership fee includes the use of the IPv4 Transfer Listing Service.
- How much do I have to pay the organisation that wants to transfer IPv4 addresses to me? →
Any financial transaction that may take place between members is up to those members themselves. The RIPE NCC provides a platform for members to list what they are offering. It takes no part in, has no influence over, is not concerned with nor takes any responsibility for any financial transaction that may or may not take place.
- Does the requester need to demonstrate the need for IPv4 addresses it wants to acquire using the Listing Service? →
No. However, the receiving LIR will have to confirm that they intend to make assignments from the transferred address space.
- How can I list the IPv4 address space that I no longer need on the Listing Service? →
Log into the LIR Portal and select 'List resources' from the menu. Enter your name and contact details and select the prefixes you would like to offer. The selected prefixes will then appear on the 'IPv4 address space offered for transfer' page. You can remove or hide resources from this list at any time.
- How can I see what IPv4 address space is available on the Listing Service? →
- What is the minimum allocation size that can be listed on the Listing Service? →
The minimum allocation size that may be listed on the IPv4 Transfer Listing Service and subsequently transferred to another RIPE NCC member is a /22.
- What steps are involved in transferring IPv4 address space using the Listing Service? →
1. An offering member publishes IPv4 address space they no longer need on the Listing Service.
2. A member interested in acquiring IPv4 address space browses what's published on the Listing Service.
3. The member interested in acquiring the address space contacts the offering member using the contact details published on the Listing Service and enters into negotiations about the transfer of the IPv4 space.
4. Once they are agreed, either the receiving or transferring member contacts the RIPE NCC by emailing lir-help _at_ ripe _dot_ net and includes:
- The resources being transferred (if all of the transferring members's resources are being transferred, confirmation of this is required)
- The Transfer Agreement signed by both parties
- Recent company registration papers for both parties
- Whether the transfer is to be temporary or permanent (in the case of a temporary transfer, specify until what date the resources are to be transferred)
5.The RIPE NCC performs final checks, including confirming that the offering member has agreed to the transfer, and completes the transfer according to section 5.5 of "IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region".
6. Both members are informed that the transfer has been completed. The transferred IPv4 address blocks will be automatically removed from the listing service.
Please also read the Listing Service Terms and Conditions of use.
- Where can I find the Terms and Conditions for use of the Listing Service? →
- I'm not a RIPE NCC member. How can I get address space? →
Find out more about how to become a RIPE NCC member and how to request Internet number resources.