News: Industry Developments
- NRO Response to ICANN Consultation on the Transition of NTIA’s Stewardship of the IANA Functions
Response from the Number Resource Organization (NRO) to ICANN’s Call for Public input on “Draft Proposal, Based on Initial Community Feedback, of the Principles and Mechanisms and the Process to Develop a Proposal to Transition NTIA’s Stewardship of the IANA Functions”
- NETmundial Concludes With Multistakeholder Statement
NETmundial, a two-day, multi-stakeholder meeting on Internet governance issues, concluded on Thursday, 24 April, in São Paulo, Brazil.
- IPv6 on the Agenda at WTDC 2014
The RIPE NCC, representatives of the other Regional Internet Registries, ITU Member States and Sector Members took part in the International Telecommunication Union’s World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC-14) this past fortnight in Dubai, UAE.
- The RIPE Community and the Evolution of the IANA Functions
On Friday 14 March, the United States Government announced that it intends to transition oversight of key Internet functions (including the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, or IANA) to the global multi-stakeholder community. It has asked ICANN to facilitate, in consultation with the global multi-stakeholder community, the development of a proposal for the transition.
- Internet Technical Leaders Welcome IANA Globalization Progress
The leaders of the Internet technical organizations responsible for coordination of the Internet infrastructure (IETF, IAB, RIRs, ccTLD ROs, ICANN, ISOC, and W3C), welcome the US Government’s announcement of the suggested changes related to the IANA functions contract.
- NRO Contributes to NETmundial
The Number Resource Organization (NRO) on behalf of the five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and the RIPE NCC submitted a contribution to the to the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance, NETmundial.
- Statement from the I* Leaders Coordination Meeting
Statement from the I* Leaders Coordination Meeting, Santa Monica, 14 February 2014
- 2-byte Autonomous System (AS) Number Pool Nearing Depletion
In September 2013, the IANA issued its last remaining full block (1024) of 2-byte AS numbers, with 512 going to APNIC and 512 going to Ripe NCC. Of the 65,536 total AS numbers in the 2-byte pool, there now remain just 496.
- Hartmut Glaser Reappointed to NRO Number Council
The LACNIC Board reappointed Hartmut Glaser as member of the NRO Number Council. His new term will expire on Dec. 31st, 2014.
- AFRINIC Confirms 2 Positions in the NRO NC / ASO AC
AFRINIC Confirms 2 Positions in the NRO NC / ASO AC