Number Resource Organization
- Protect the unallocated Number Resource pool,
- Promote and protect the bottom up policy development process, and
- Act as a focal point for Internet community input into the RIR system.
- NRO Welcomes Public Comments on the ASO Review Report
In accordance with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Bylaws, the Number Resource Organization (NRO) undertakes independent periodic reviews of the Address Supporting Organization (ASO). ITEMS International, a consultancy engaged by the NRO to conduct this current review, has delivered its report. The report is open for public comment and is available for download as a PDF document.
- ASO Review Report Published
After its review of the ASO, ITEMS International has produced its report, which has now been accepted by the NRO. This report has been submitted to ICANN, which will shortly launch a public comment process.
- Call for ASO Address Council Representative Nominations for LACNIC Region
The LACNIC region has issued an open call for nominations for a representative to fill one (1) seat on the NRO Number Council / ASO Address Council to cover the vacancy generated by the position of Sebastián Bellagamba whose term ends on December 31st 2012. The elected representative must be willing to serve a term of three years starting on January 1st 2013.
- Comment Period for ICANN Board Seat 9 Election
Consistent with the ASO Memorandum of Understanding and ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) is responsible for the appointment of a representative to serve on Seat Number 9 of the ICANN Board. The ASO AC is pleased to announce the following four candidates for its upcoming appointment. The Candidates are: Thomas Eric Brunner-Williams Martin J. Levy William Manning Raymond Alan Plzak
- Alan P. Barret’s term on the NRO NC has been extended
The AfriNIC board is pleased to announce that Alan Barret’s term on the NRO NC has been extended. He will serve a two-year term that runs from 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2013.
- APNIC Appoints Andy Linton to NRO NC
APNIC is pleased to announce that Andy Linton has been appointed as a representative to the Number Resource Organization (NRO) Number Council (NC) for the APNIC region for a one-year term starting 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2012.
- AfriNIC Elects Douglas Onyango to NRO NC
AfriNIC is pleased to announce that Douglas Onyango was elected to serve on the Number Resource Organization (NRO) Number Council (NC). He will serve a three-year term that runs from 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2014.
- ASO AC Call for Nominations for Seat 9 on the ICANN Board
Consistent with the ASO Memorandum of Understanding and ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) calls for nominations for Seat Number 9 on the ICANN Board. The nomination period will close at 23:59 UTC on 16 January 2012.
- Survey Results Predict Global Internet Service Providers’ IPv6 Adoption to Increase in 2012
70 per cent of global Internet Service Providers (ISPs) surveyed plan to adopt IPv6 by the end of next year.
- Call for Survey Participation - Review of ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO)
The NRO exists to:
History of the NRO
On 24 October 2003, the four existing RIRs – APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and the RIPE NCC – entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ICANN to form the NRO. Once AfriNIC was incorporated in April 2005 it signed the MoU and joined the NRO.
The NRO Number Council (NC)
Under the terms of the MoU signed between the ICANN and the RIRs in October 2004, the NRO Number Council (NRO NC) now performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). The NRO NC is made up of three community representatives from each RIR region.