Number Resource Organization
- Protect the unallocated Number Resource pool,
- Promote and protect the bottom up policy development process, and
- Act as a focal point for Internet community input into the RIR system.
- NRO Communication to ICANN on RPKI Global Trust Anchor
Dear Elise, On behalf of the NRO, I’d like to request a meeting with you...
- NRO Response to NTIA Request for Further Comments on IANA Functions
On 28 July 2011, the NRO submitted a response to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration Request for comments on the Further Notice of Inquiry on The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Functions.
- ITAC endorses OECD Communique on Internet Policy-Making
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), at the conclusion of its recent High Level Meeting on the Internet Economy, issued a communique and press release of interest to the NRO community.
- NRO participated at OECD High Level Meeting, 27-28 June
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) High Level Meeting on the Internet Economy was held in Paris on 27-28 June 2011. The NRO, attending this meeting as part of the Internet Technical Advisory Committee (ITAC) to the OECD, was represented by Vint Cerf, ARIN Board.
- ASO AC Workshop Held at ICANN 41
Representatives of the ASO Address Council (AC) hosted a workshop on regional IP addressing activities on 22 June 2011 at ICANN 41, held in Singapore.
- G8 Governments Urged to Embrace Multistakeholder Approach to Internet Issues
Consultations should include organizations key to the Internet’s success as a platform for global economic growth and social progress.
- APNIC Announces its IPv4 Address Pool Reaches Final /8
APNIC announced that as of Friday, 15 April 2011, its IPv4 address pool reached the Final /8 IPv4 address block, bringing the Asia Pacific region to the last Stage of IPv4 exhaustion. This is a very important milestone on the IPv4 exhaustion process at a global level.
- APNIC Appoints Andy Linton to the ASO AC
The NRO is pleased to announce that APNIC has appointed Andy Linton to the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). This is an interim appointment ending 31 December 2011, to replace Dr. Kenny Huang, who was recently elected to the APNIC Executive Council.
- NRO Letter to ICANN: The Future of the IANA Contract
- New NRO Video on Resource Certification
The NRO is pleased to present this Resource Certification video, which explains the purpose and importance of resource certification and the security benefits it offers the Internet community.
The NRO exists to:
History of the NRO
On 24 October 2003, the four existing RIRs – APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and the RIPE NCC – entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ICANN to form the NRO. Once AfriNIC was incorporated in April 2005 it signed the MoU and joined the NRO.
The NRO Number Council (NC)
Under the terms of the MoU signed between the ICANN and the RIRs in October 2004, the NRO Number Council (NRO NC) now performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). The NRO NC is made up of three community representatives from each RIR region.