How to use the MD5-PW auth scheme in my mntner ?
To use MD5-PW, do the following:
- Pick a passphrase - there is some advice on choosing a good passphrase
E.g. "@ v3ri $3>|rit P@55Frais" has the mnemonic "a very secret passphrase", is relatively long, and contains a mix of non-alphabetic characters.
- Go to the Crypt CGI Interface at:
(https://www.ripe.net/cgi-bin/crypt.cgi ) and convert the password to MD5-PW. E.g. "@ v3ri $3>|rit P@55Frais" converts to "$1$HaKpJ.7L$bMelWa6qPZJn9ZTn7dphr/". The encrypted password is not always the same for the same starting password.
- Modify your mntner object to add a line that starts with "auth: MD5-PW", followed by a space and the encrypted password from step 2.
E.g. a maintainer would become:
descr: Sample maintainer for example.
auth: MD5-PW $1$HaKpJ.7L$bMelWa6qPZJn9ZTn7dphr/
- Send the maintainer as a plain text e-mail to auto-dbm _at_ ripe _dot_ net.
- You will receive an automatic reply from the RIPE Database when the update is complete. If successful, you can use the password authentication. To do this, put "password:" at the beginning of a line in the body of the message, followed by the clear text, non-encrypted password.
To create a person object with the above maintainer, you would send
an e-mail with the following body:
password: @ v3ri $3>|rit P@55Frais
person: Adam Smith
address: RIPE NCC
address: Singel 258
address: 1016 AB Amsterdam
address: The Netherlands
phone: +31 20 535 4444
fax-no: +31 20 545 4445
e-mail: adam-example _at_ ripe _dot_ net
notify: Adam-example _at_ ripe _dot_ net
changed: ripe-dbm _at_ ripe _dot_ net